Self employed fears

Boggle4137

An HGV driver I know works for an Agency and it appears he can not work for more than 13 weeks continuously at one company ( or is regarded as employed )  so has time off / or gets sent to another company for at least one week  , then can start 13 weeks again ....it is with a large depot so they always seem to need a number of agency drivers ...

• Like 1

You need to show a future employer you can do the job, concentrate on cutting and climbing, getting strong, training, researching and thinking trees 24/7.
You can’t be shown how to be self employed and how to be an accountant in a few posts on here.
You are starting a new journey, you can’t expect to see the final destination, that will hopefully take you 30-40 years.
What you lack is confidence, that is gained through achievement.
You are right to be nervous but don’t let it cripple you, deep breaths and charge on is what I’ve always told myself.
Good luck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after doing two days trial he wants to take me on as SE, which is brilliant as he knows I'm a newbie and is willing to give me a go. However he wants to know what my day rate is, a friend of mine said a minimum of £100 a day otherwise not to bother. This is the first decent offer I've had over the last two years so I really need it but I don't want to burn any bridges, especially since I'm inexperienced. 

I'm not sure how many days work I'm going to get so I might have to sub out to others but I would love to know your input about day rates and any other info that will be handy

I'm in North Wales by the way and he is going to provide the saws, I've got to provide my own PPE and climbing stuff (already have) 

• Like 1

If you can graft and use a saw to sned and feed a chipper don't settle for less than 100. A competent groundy/2nd climber would be looking at 120+

Less than that and you'd be better off on the books. 

Second Steve's comment. Try to live and breathe tree work and you'll come on much quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All gteat advice from the lads.

Id like to add my tuppence.

Push yourself to start climbing,some will say start on smaller trees to get your confidence up-nah!

Get youself up a  big epi ridden lime or a gnarly half dead piece of shit cypress,summit that scares the shit out of you and get her done.

Once you've done that a couple of times you ll be better equipt confidence wise to do just about anything.

Try and get your rigging/sectional felling tickets asap,it will take you into a higher pay scale,and lets be honest its where the money is.

Big takedowns command big money

• Like 1

I got £80 a day climbing when I started out, about 4 yrs ago. After 4 months that went up to £100. Climbing every day with someone who knows more than you and can teach is worth a lot. If you can get in with a good team you will learn a lot that will see you right for years to come. Imo your first job is an investment in the rest of your career. Good luck with it. Jan.