Hardest job - Hand cutter, climber or groundsman?

Gary Prentice

Hand cutters for sure, they are swinging a saw around all day. Two of my lads were working in front of the mulcher all day today in this stinking heat and there was steam coming off of them, its just non stop. Stark contrast to the  my lads on domestics  who are probably sat on a patio in the shade somewhere drinking Mrs Miggings iced tea.

Bob

• Like 4

Depends on the sites , trees , jobs.... I have had horrific days of both , I don’t mind hand cutting it’s just boring and Dislike being on the same site for more than 3 days, I hate my fooking foresters tapes that cost a fortune for refills and keep breaking the stingers off !
Climbing can be easy and can be a nightmare and sketchy , grounding can be easy but also a ball breaker , the trick I think is to be fit and competent at the job and it’s no sweat either way.
Other thing is to get a good Rhythm and it flys by , problem is with hand cutting jobs if you get in to a good rhythm your still expected to do the hours as with Tree surgery you can bosh it and go home.
If I was hand felling for myself if I went for it all day I would be packing up at 3 and why I don’t like falling for others I’ve usually had enough by then and some folk won’t despite the laws of HAVS exposure.
Must admit I’m really looking forward to winching wind blow off a steep slope tomorrow ... not.

Hand cutters for sure, they are swinging a saw around all day. Two of my lads were working in front of the mulcher all day today in this stinking heat and there was steam coming off of them, its just non stop. Stark contrast to the  my lads on domestics  who are probably sat on a patio in the shade somewhere drinking Mrs Miggings iced tea.

Bob

Hope your air conditioning was on full blast Bob!
  • Haha 1

Think a lot of it’s psychological as well, I’m happiest climbing because on my jobs 9/10 of the time we rock up, bosh the job out, on the way home 2 ish mostly. Nothing depresses me more than turning up at a weeks worth of hand cutting with no end in sight!

• Like 1