eBay scam?

neilb

2 minutes ago, neilb said:

You will have great communication with him right up to receiving his invoice and him receiving payment. After an hour long phone call with Halifax fraud line, it’s been registered as a scam. They said it’s an active account and that they can investigate in house as we both bank with Halifax. Hopefully they will freeze his account until either I’m reimbursed or I receive the goods.

Nice one ! Good luck .

Quick update on this one, received a phone call about half an hour ago from a very flustered older man on a Darlington land line. This time not the sheepish Ryan (apparently the grandson) whose mobile is on the eBay adverts but Mr Robinson himself who I’ve bank transferred £415.
Very sorry about the misunderstanding. Apparently his wife was shopping in m&s and card has been declined. Explained how I’d been ringing and ringing the only contact number on both eBay and the invoice to no avail!
Anyway, apparently it’s a good one and it’s sat in a unit somewhere and it will be here Wednesday. Can I please check it over and then contact the bank immediately to lift the suspension!
So, was it a scam or not! I’ve no idea but it was horrendous customer service and stress I could have done without.

In future I will always drive to inspect and collect with cash.

• Like 3

I would personally leave it in place until you have the goods in your possession.  Not your problem that the grandson or whoever's actions have caused someone's supposed credit card to be declined in M&S.

Get the goods then tell the bank it was just shite customer service.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, neilb said:

In future I will always drive to inspect and collect with cash.

That is always the best way.  But paying by PayPal does give some protection.  It won't give protection against an item not quite being as it should or as you hope, but it will give protection against scams or indeed disorganised sellers who mess you around and fail to send your goods.

It is always good to be aware also whether you are dealing with a business or an individual.  The law gives quite a lot of protection when buying from a business including the right to return an item for a refund for any reason at all within 14 days (except for a few items like specially made or adapted items).  From an individual however there is very little protection.

On a PC it is easy to see if a seller is a business - on the right of the listing page just under the "contact the seller" link it will state "Registered as a business seller" if it is a business.  On a phone I have no idea how you tell.

as rich says leave it in place till you get it and check It has not been nicked as the so called grandfather could bee another scam as it seems strange for him to be using his grandfathers account  witch could make him liable for tax or will maybe make the grandfather think twice about letting him use his account also how did he get your number ?

it seems you have made a bit of progress good luck 

Sorry for the hassle you’ve had Neil but just wanted to put the other side of eBay/transfers etc up. I recently bought a Schaffer for £8k. Spoke to the guy, did a bit of looking online, rang him on a different number he had advertised etc. Sent money and trusted him and it worked out all good, trusted haulier arranged on a forum too that he didn’t just run off with my new loader! A bit of balance just so we don’t think everyone is a total shite, although it’s probably the best position to start from.

Will definitely use bobs idea of street view in future to get a better picture.

Thanks for the support/advice I’ve received on here about this.
Yes, I definitely will be leaving in place until it turns up on Wednesday. Something still doesn’t add up about it. Why didn’t I have any contact from the guy who I’ve sent the money to until now! The business address on the invoice not being genuine. The fact that this Ryan just dropped off the face of the earth! The bank said when I explained all this. I’m sorry but it sounds like a scam. So the warning signs were all there. The way he was on the phone last night. “We’ve been doing this for years, we don’t scam people”
See what Wednesday brings!

30 minutes ago, neilb said:

Thanks for the support/advice I’ve received on here about this.
Yes, I definitely will be leaving in place until it turns up on Wednesday. Something still doesn’t add up about it. Why didn’t I have any contact from the guy who I’ve sent the money to until now! The business address on the invoice not being genuine. The fact that this Ryan just dropped off the face of the earth! The bank said when I explained all this. I’m sorry but it sounds like a scam. So the warning signs were all there. The way he was on the phone last night. “We’ve been doing this for years, we don’t scam people”
See what Wednesday brings!

He slipped up with the granddad account thing I recon .   He could not have foreseen you getting their account frozen . Would have scammed you otherwise /.

Edited by Stubby

the grandfather account is a myth: there is no grandfather account; or grandfather. they are all players playing a part.

they are probs out now looking for something to match the photos they took of some random kit some while ago.

if anything is delivered, check it for hire company logos stickers and numbers.

be suspicious: very suspicious of everything.

good luck

I gotta dash; someone get on their ebay page and do a google picture search on the pictures they have used.

sometimes these are straight out of local trader mags and can be found

• Like 1