Which Chainsaw for a large felled Spruce?

Malco

Hi,
I have a chainsaw dilemma. I recently had a 90 year old spruce felled. Most of the branches have been cut into lengths no longer than 12 inches diameter. However the trunk, which is 20-30 feet long varies in diameter from 2ft 6" to 5ft 6" . As I am a beginner ( although verbally coached by the tree-feller at the time), I will not be able to buy a chainsaw capable of ringing the trunk, so I anticipate slowly cutting chips/slices off it which I can chop/saw to fit in my wood-burner. However, I suspect I will need a hefty saw (? around 50cc) to complete that task, despite requiring a much lesser powered saw to cut up the branches. I am unlikely to use the chainsaw after this large task. In the interests of safety, I will go with a Husqvarna but I would welcome advice on which is the cheapest of their range which will be able to carry out the full task.
I am thinking, perhaps the 440, 445, or 450?
My dilemma clearly is that I do not want to overspend on something which has a time limited value to me, but neither do I wish to waste money buying something that is not up to the task. I should add that tree is on a very small island so normal logistics do not apply!
Advice please!

Thanks Commando but I suspect the cost of am arborist for a day on a remote island would be significant?
Thanks The tool nut but there is no means to get a woodmizer on the island ( only a 13 foot dinghy access).
Thanks The Hungry squirrel but the tree is in the north of scotland.

Thanks Commando but I suspect the cost of am arborist for a day on a remote island would be significant?
Thanks The tool nut but there is no means to get a woodmizer on the island ( only a 13 foot dinghy access).
If you could get it into the water, tie it to a boat and bring it to the mainland you could get it milled. Ringing a beauty like that up for firewood would be a travesty. If you could find someone with an 880 and an alaskan mill he could mill it on site.

2 hours ago, thetoolnut said:
2 hours ago, Malco said:

If you could get it into the water, tie it to a boat and bring it to the mainland you could get it milled. Ringing a beauty like that up for firewood would be a travesty. If you could find someone with an 880 and an alaskan mill he could mill it on site.

Or you could hire a Chinook chopper and fly it to Sweden and get it milled there !  . :D

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Darrin Turnbull said:

Tricky one , anyone on here with small islands experience.

Yeah, day rate, customer picks you up on their boat, meet at the jetty at 08:00, back at the jetty 15:00, do what you can in the time on the island. 

cutting wedges out of a 5ft dia log with a 50cc saw will be painful and very time consuming. Remember you’ll also need to get correct PPE which will be harder to sell on after. 

Find someone with a 90cc saw, couple new chains, files and fuel to cut it to 30cm rings ready to split.

the amount you’ll loose in kit depreciation for this one off job and excess fuel running a little saw so much will pay a hefty way towards a pro for a day, then cost in your time too and the pro works out cheaper!

• Like 5

I agree with previous posters, get a professional to ring it up - much safer, less hassle and cheaper than buying a saw and looking after it with no experience.  You only have to make a silly error and your expensive saw is stuck.  Have you thought about chain sharpening (not difficult but needs doing),   As a first time chainsaw user your Spruce will be a real pain to cross-cut at that width. 

If you are a practical and capable person no doubt you will work it out and muddle through but I suspect it will be quite a mission, especially bearing in mind even a really large chainsaw won't be able to cut through from one side. 

On the other hand, for a professional it sounds like an easy job, maybe just a couple of hours work.  Even paying transport costs it might just be the best idea.

• Like 4