Rules for CS30 etc. refreshers/retakes?

onetruth

Problem is genuinely worthwhile training gets seen in a bad light with things like this, I’ve had grief with the CSCS system before jumped through a load of hoops, went back, sat through a 1 hour safety (corporate advert) video, to then have the health and safety Nazi or “manager” as they like to be called tell me I can’t use a strimmer.. 

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:14, Rich Rule said:

I had to do refresher a course last year for a ROLO/BALI thing as a prerequisite to CSCS.

They said that refreshing my rigging ticket wouldn't be acceptable for ground based refresher training.  I had to do the refresher on small fells.

I can understand the need for casual users but I am on the tools between 4 and 6 days a week and have been for about 15 years...  it was a waste of money but the guy going for the contract paid for the training for us.

I must admit, it did feel like a large money making exercise for everyone else apart from the people forking out for it.

It is one of the issues that the AA is looking for movement on (see Paul's comments).  Part of the problem being exactly how the quals are phrased.  With the Rigging, as far as I recall, there is no stated requirement to use a chainsaw in the qual... although everyone will.  It is still being worked on by BALI for the LISS/CSCS cards,. They have a working group coming up on the topic in the near future.  No doubt there will be more from me or Paul on the topic after that.

Obviously Lantra offer refresher training courses, given that it is something flagged up by the HSE and so a requirement for the likes of CSCS cards, contracts etc, what would you like to see included in the refresher training?  A proposal from one large employer has been to run a assessment ( to demonstrate that the user is still working in an appropriate way) and to have further (refresher) training only if they fail.

34 minutes ago, Stuart Phillips said:

A proposal from one large employer has been to run a assessment ( to demonstrate that the user is still working in an appropriate way) and to have further (refresher) training only if they fail.

All well and good but "fail" is a pejorative and deprecated word in this context.

"retraining if current work was not meeting the standard" perhaps...

I have had chainsaw refreshers in the last 5 years  plus I attained a couple of NPTC  qualifications but to have refreshed all my qualifications at approaching 65 would have been a waste of money, it's one thing viewing them as an investment when in your 20s but the rate of return diminishes greatly as you get older such that I now only get to do domestic work where no one asks for tickets.

On 17/03/2018 at 23:17, Ian C said:

Just get a labourer card, never had n issue

Unfortunately that hasn't been the case for a few years mate.

now you have to do a ROLO course.  Costs a packet and then you have to have In date training or otherwise refreshers to apply for a CsCs card.  Before you even choose which card or skill set to apply for.

2 hours ago, Stuart Phillips said:

what would you like to see included in the refresher training?  A proposal from one large employer has been to run a assessment ( to demonstrate that the user is still working in an appropriate way) and to have further (refresher) training only if they fail.

I would like to see common sense used to be honest.  If you can prove you have been actively participating at the sharp end of the Industry...  why the need for the refresher?

your suggestion posted above is pretty much what we went through.  In order to tick the boxes he reassessed us on small fells...  or in other words he watched whilst we knocked over a few shitty small fells using different techniques and we chatted why we used a particular method over another.

Then he wrote us certs from his company stating we had completed refresher training.  It was the cheapest option as the guy going for the contract had to put 5 of us through it.  The training company made a day's money, we rattled through it and although go it cost a bit it was a damn site cheaper for the guy paying than forking out 5 individual refresher courses at each of our highest ticket.

Thankfully though, I know longer reside in the UK.  So hopefully, until Norway becomes a nanny state...  I shouldn't need refresher training for a while.

Unfortunately that hasn't been the case for a few years mate.

now you have to do a ROLO course.  Costs a packet and then you have to have In date training or otherwise refreshers to apply for a CsCs card.  Before you even choose which card or skill set to apply for.

One of my lads did it last year , one day health and safety course then touch screen test and a green labourers card for 32 quid, no one says you have to have a skills card, 4 of us have the green card and never have a problem on sites, they never sk for nptc either

Am sure it will change though as the training industry want to make it s lucrative as possible!