Do you think this would be good for marking kit

Ian Leach

You will never stop theives taking kit, you can however make it difficult for them to sell it on.

Deep engraving, painting a different colour, splash of paint on casings where it's difficult to get at. If a buyer looks at the tackle they know its hooky and will be reluctant to buy it because of the work invloved to sell on again

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will never stop theives taking kit, you can however make it difficult for them to sell it on.

Deep engraving, painting a different colour, splash of paint on casings where it's difficult to get at. If a buyer looks at the tackle they know its hooky and will be reluctant to buy it because of the work invloved to sell on again

Thats what i have done, real deep engraving, buggers it up if you want to sell it but thats life. Our kit is just sooo easy to hide and get rid off. Most crims these days wouldnt give a toss about smart water to be honest, most of em dont know what normal water is never mind smart water!

the scum that buy dont give s toss what you do to ,its cheap & thats it , what is the chance of a copper going on to a job & asking to check there gear for smart water !!! the only time there going to get it is when they do a raid on a lock up ??? what a :laugh1: taking extra steps in the first place is the best method ,leaving kit in the back of vans is just shear stupidity, you chaps spend thousands on kit ,& dont think about sercuity a quick look on ebay & you can get a large fire proof safe for £300 !!!! i have 2,sets of kit & there never in the same place @ the same time !!!!

Edited by Johny Walker

Any idea on how much the smartwater costs?

I know someone said it is handed out for free but I assume that this is only now and then.

Anything that might make the thieves think twice is good:thumbup1:

If its free or cheap enough then I will deffo use it, why not?

BTW from what I did read about it awhile ago it isnt supposed to be that easy to wash/paint over or rub away.

Any idea on how much the smartwater costs?

I know someone said it is handed out for free but I assume that this is only now and then.

Anything that might make the thieves think twice is good:thumbup1:

If its free or cheap enough then I will deffo use it, why not?

BTW from what I did read about it awhile ago it isnt supposed to be that easy to wash/paint over or rub away.

As far as i know you go down to the local police station and get a pack for free and register your details to the smart water.

This what i've found about it and here's the link, the kit that was given out was a smaller one.

SmartWater - Home (New)

Company-Building

You may add upto 1

Commercial Sole Trader

Cost:

£83.88 Annual Subscription

(Equivalent to £6.99 PCM*)

In the pack:

* 1 x 50 ml Forensic Solution + Applicator

* 6 x Window Deterrent Labels

* 60 x Tamper Resistant Stickers

* 2 x Metal Gate Post Deterrent Signs

* 2 x A5 Corex Signs

* 1 x UV Lamp (inc. Batteries)

* 1 x Application Guidelines

Small Forensic Property Coding - 2 to 10 Employees

Cost:

£119.88 Annual Subscription

(Equivalent to £9.99 PCM*)

In the pack:

* 1 x 50 ml Forensic Solution + Applicator

* 2 x A5 Labels

* 15 x Window Deterrent Labels

* 60 x Property Stickers

* 120 x Tamper Resistant Stickers

Medium Forensic Property Coding - 11 to 50 Employees

Cost:

£359.88 Annual Subscription

(Equivalent to £29.99 PCM*)

In the pack:

* 1 x 200 ml Forensic Solution + Applicator

* 2 x A5 Labels

* 30 x Window Deterrent Labels

* 150 x Property Stickers

* 450 x Tamper Resistant Stickers

First time I got done over everything was in a locked shed and coppers just went through the motions, even asked me if I thought it was worth getting forensics in! :sneaky2: Second time I'd fitted a much bigger stainless steel lock and welded a box over it and still got in no problem, so theres now high security stainless padlock and 5 lever mortice deadlock on personnel door and sliding doors are locked from inside and have cctv plus I made it known to known bad un's in the area I had a 12 bore and JCB and if it happens again wont bother with cops, touch wood so far so good :001_cool:

My bike came covered in the stuff - there are quite a few alternatives out there like AlphaDot, which is basically just loads of tiny plastic dots with a serial number on them, in a tube of glue which you plaster in the hard to see places on your kit.

Again, it's really only to help with recovery but it's a start and it's not that expensive either (I think it was about £25-30 for the AlphaDot when I got it, and there's enough of it to cover loads of kit).

surely it wears of over time, more so in this game?

It also sticks to skin for weeks - doesn't wash off, has to grow out. Most Police Stations these days apparently have a u/v light that anyone arrested has to walk past. If they glow the Smartwater can be linked directly to a registered owner who has presumably had stuff nicked.

So Smartwater seems to be of most use on the bad guys rather than your kit!