Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

1 minute ago, Mark Bolam said:

Well, you couldn't use spikes because the tree is being retained.

What's left of it, that is....

Perhaps Fred Dibnah's approach might be a solution.  I was watching a vid of him showing how to get ladders up a mill chimney, fascinating how he did it..   

Knock a couple of spikes into tree, tie ladders off and the ladders ain't goin nowhere if they get hit by a falling limb.   tempted to try it out on my next job to be honest..   

I've not had no accident to date, and even if I did I'd put it down to me.  never made an insurance claim neither and don't intend too. again if I break it I pay for it..  personal injuries?, if I get caught its down to me, tough tities is what I say I'll deal with the consequences in my own way..

I'm as livid as the next man when idiots cost me money on insurance, especially as I don't intend to claim on it myself.. I insure my van third party just to make me careful, and live by my own code of conduct..  even if someone crashes into me, I pay..

So yea, I won't cost you or other tree surgeons a penny more than you pay.. and its not like I'm out cutting tree's down everyday..  sometimes I can go for months without chopping off a branch...

So a while back you went in to detail about some rigging job you had cocked up , you have no training on work positioning with a chainsaw I imagine on the ground let alone a tree or Ariel rigging apart from watching some you tube vids and you managed to put a hole in the roof, so imagine it had been worse and not only did it go through the roof it swung In to you intern giving you a saw injury and the guy holding the rope for you who had no Ariel rescue , first aid or idea of how to get you out could do??? Your a statistic waiting to happen imo ... and when it does it will be another excuse for HSE to add more bullshit to the ones of us who have to keep it legit and pay through our noses in constant training in a lame response to stop these accidents but the public will keep on paying the village fool to go and cut that there trees for beer tokens and accidents will keep on happening.
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, MattyF said:

So a while back you went in to detail about some rigging job you had cocked up , you have no training on work positioning with a chainsaw I imagine on the ground let alone a tree or Ariel rigging apart from watching some you tube vids and you managed to put a hole in the roof, so imagine it had been worse and not only did it go through the roof it swung In to you intern giving you a saw injury and the guy holding the rope for you who had no Ariel rescue , first aid or idea of how to get you out could do??? Your a statistic waiting to happen imo ... and when it does it will be another excuse for HSE to add more bullshit to the ones of us who have to keep it legit and pay through our noses in constant training in a lame response to stop these accidents but the public will keep on paying the village fool to go and cut that there trees for beer tokens and accidents will keep on happening.

Put a hole in the roof?..  don't remember a hole, I do remember a branch hitting the shed roof because this fella I was doin the tree for insisted I do it his way..   I tried to tell him but he wouldn't have it..

And you're right, I have no training with a chainsaw on the ground or up in the air..  and I don't suppose theres ever going to be a problem with Ariel Rescue.  I work alone for the most part..   I've had branches fall and bounce back at me on a ladder mind.. you can't account for a bad bounce..  that happened once with a pair of hedge trimmers, that was a sight, to throw your hedge cutters out the way only to see em work their way back with menaces.

And another thing, I used to free climb tree's and tie myself in with a ratchet strap, now I've got all the gear theres even less chance of something going amiss...

bear in mind that I wouldn't even touch about 70% of the tree's your likely doing..   my rule of thumb is, can I get this job done in two trips or less..  anything over and I don't want to know...

This reminds me of a Blackadder episode where Tom Baker was playing Captain Rum.

When asked about the crew the conversation went something like....

Blackadder  'What about the crew'?

Rum 'Crew'?

Blackadder 'Yes, the crew, I thought it was conventional for a ship to have a crew'

Rum 'Aaaargh, there be two schools of thought on that'

Blackadder 'Oh God'

Rum 'Those who think there shouldn't be a crew - ME, and those who think there should - everybody else'

Edited by Shane
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shane said:

This reminds me of a Blackadder episode where Tom Baker was playing Captain Rum.

When asked about the crew the conversation went something like....

Blackadder  'What about the crew'?

Rum 'Crew'?

Blackadder 'Yes, the crew, I thought it was conventional for a ship to have a crew'

Rum 'Aaaargh, there be two schools of thought on that'

Blackadder 'Oh God'

Rum 'Those who think there shouldn't be a crew - ME, and those who think there should - everybody else'

You left out the most relevant part shane.

At the end of that blackadder turns to percy and says (about rum)

"Mad as a brush"

Apt

20 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I've had branches fall and bounce back at me on a ladder mind.. you can't account for a bad bounce.. 

21 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

And another thing, I used to free climb tree's and tie myself in with a ratchet strap, now I've got all the gear theres even less chance of something going amiss...

You couldn't make it up......

• Like 3

Poor Martin - bet he never thought ' this ' would be the response ..... ( entertaining as it has been ) I was sort of sympathetic until he said ' I offered him £50 and the wood '  then had to resort to pills at that point ;) An a couple on here need to put their handbags away also ;) K

Mr Kev ! That pads comment felled me :)

• Haha 1