Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

It's unbelievable that someone would insist on looking at the site prior to quoting!

And then to provide a quote that the 'customer' isn't happy with.

We should all just use the same pricing policy.

1. Customer phones up with vague description and tell us their expected price.

2. We say YES and ask them when they would like it done, re-arranging all other plans so it all fits in for them.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

It's unbelievable that someone would insist on looking at the site prior to quoting!

And then to provide a quote that the 'customer' isn't happy with.

We should all just use the same pricing policy.

1. Customer phones up with vague description and tell us their expected price.

2. We say YES and ask them when they would like it done, re-arranging all other plans so it all fits in for them.

Can you ring it up and split it as well ? I'd go as far as the £150 then :thumbup:

I can't see why anyone is having a go at this fella..  the bloke who came round was taking the mick and he knew it..   the fella wanted his tree chopped at the red marks, seems straight forward to me.. turn up, two cuts and away you go..  150 for half hrs work..  

I'd like to know how people come to pricing jobs..   as far as I'm concerned it aught be pretty straight forward..

One climber 150 or there abouts..  one groundie, 70/80..   cost of getting shut of tree?  this comes under how long is a piece of string.. 

So considering the job at hand, that tree should cost no more than a couple of hundred on a good day..   if the farmer stands in as a groundie, he saves 70/80 quid...

• Like 1

It is unfortunate that as many tree owners actually put little value on 'their' trees  correspondingly they're prepared only to pay low for tree surgery / arboricultural work. As an industry sector which is under-valued, in both a fiscal and a professional sense, we need to be very careful we don't contribute to such by doing work cheaply (I know everybody has to "earn a crust" etc.) as doing so is perhaps a short term gain(?) but longer term pain, i.e. isn't sustainable.

I'm not commenting specifically in relation to this post, or maybe I am actually, but £150 seems very / too cheap to me for the provision of an insured, skilled, professional service. Equally, without really knowing anything about the site, £450 perhaps seems a little steep.

My ten-penneth.

Best..

Paul

• Like 4

There is a guy in Worthing who quotes over £1,000 per day without equipment.

He then subs it out at £300 per day to a guy with van/chipper and groundie. Over £700 per day for quoting!

He is well known as an absolute bandit BUT he doesn't force anyone to accept his quotes and he makes anyone quoting less seem like a bargain. The thing is, he DOES get takers and he don't need too many. I would rather there were more like him than these tax dodging, cost cutting vermin who go round quoting stupidly cheap just to keep busy. Enough.... this has been done on many threads before -I'm off. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

It is unfortunate that as many tree owners actually put little value on 'their' trees  correspondingly they're prepared only to pay low for tree surgery / arboricultural work. As an industry sector which is under-valued, in both a fiscal and a professional sense, we need to be very careful we don't contribute to such by doing work cheaply (I know everybody has to "earn a crust" etc.) as doing so is perhaps a short term gain(?) but longer term pain, i.e. isn't sustainable.

I'm not commenting specifically in relation to this post, or maybe I am actually, but £150 seems very / too cheap to me for the provision of an insured, skilled, professional service. Equally, without really knowing anything about the site, £450 perhaps seems a little steep.

My ten-penneth.

Best..

Paul

I can not believe a man in your position is even thinking of condoning the topping of trees Paul ;). I myself would never associate myself, my company, or my affiliations with such work. Therefore I am not interested, I'm out!

Next!

Edited by Arctostaphylos uva-ursi