Budget barn build

Little Butch

Could well be Construction in planning terms and likely also to need Building Regulation approval. Your Local Authority would need to be aware of the structure to do anything but someone usually tells them or an officer sees it. Its position, i.e. on a farm, or its size will determine the need for regulation requirements.

1 hour ago, fagus said:

Could well be Construction in planning terms and likely also to need Building Regulation approval. Your Local Authority would need to be aware of the structure to do anything but someone usually tells them or an officer sees it. Its position, i.e. on a farm, or its size will determine the need for regulation requirements.

Agricultural and forestry buildings are exempt from building control in most cases.

Agricultural buildings and buildings principally for keeping animals are exempt if they are not used as a dwelling, are at least one and a half times their height from any building where there is sleeping accommodation and have a fire exit not more than 30m from any point in a building.

Edited by Wendelspanswick

7 hours ago, MattyF said:

Replacement shed with 8b1866fb13e655cc3fe914ecbacb012c.jpg36db07a94de9334aeac60d05b07d12e1.jpgBT poles and I’m guessing around 7-10 tonne (was a long time ago) of larch and Douglas through the mill.

I recon this alone payed for a second hand mill what we saved in timber costs.

5d30bb75653f17e62b09b6d725b05e7e.jpg

f3df9a816f35986472adcb85dd3b6fd7.jpg

Another drying shed project built out of scraps, the post stones I found buried so thought would be an interesting feature... roof out of of bits of western red cedar cut for shingles, another learning curve!

Edit photos wrong way around !

You have some fantastic "scraps"

You have some fantastic "scraps"

The cladding off the small drying shed was left overs that where not quite right for the bigger shed and off cuts, the bigger cladding was two short larch logs and the shingles bent and short lumps of thuja that was good for nothing else but logs , if you have the space you can store anything I guess but it’s good to have a clear out of hoarded stuff and use it other than burn it!
  • Like 1

I have given up on building extra barns and just build stacks of IBCs with a tarp over the top. Putting one together today so taken a few pictures. The edging is so the the tarp does not get damaged on the edges of the IBCs and some tyres on the top to let the air circulate under the tarp. Didn't get the tarp on today as it needs a few repairs with tape and it been hosing it down all day. 

IMG_20171226_161137.jpg

IMG_20171226_161147.jpg

IMG_20171226_161150.jpg

• Like 1

Replacement shed with 8b1866fb13e655cc3fe914ecbacb012c.jpg36db07a94de9334aeac60d05b07d12e1.jpgBT poles and I’m guessing around 7-10 tonne (was a long time ago) of larch and Douglas through the mill.
I recon this alone payed for a second hand mill what we saved in timber costs.
5d30bb75653f17e62b09b6d725b05e7e.jpg
f3df9a816f35986472adcb85dd3b6fd7.jpg
Another drying shed project built out of scraps, the post stones I found buried so thought would be an interesting feature... roof out of of bits of western red cedar cut for shingles, another learning curve!
Edit photos wrong way around !

That’s a handsome shed!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to moving my stuff to another piece of land now which is much better suited. I’ve set one heras fence cage up, has anybody put two up next to each other using the outer holes feet on the feet? And if so did you find it was sufficient airgap to stop them rotting? Must be 2 foot apart and it seems situated in the middle of a field so airflow shoulda be decent.