sheffield trees

daveatdave

3 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Thought of you (well, to be fair, no so much ‘of you’ but of what I thought / interpreted by this post - don’t bother protesting, it just costs money and causes hassle - earlier Wes)

i was listenening to a report on the wireless about some totty that had crowd funded an appeal against the parol board decision on the early release of that sex pest taxi driver. 

Who’d have thought it, no parliamentary or systemic ability to reverse the decision of a QUANGO, but a bird in a mini skirt and heels who got tapped up on the way home after a kebab and fell for the old “have a drink Mrs, what harm could it do “ line got some mates to throw some tutt in the pot and the next thing you know, a Senior Civil Servant (I’m guessing - Chair of Parol Board) resigns and scumbag sex pest has to use a spork for another 10 years....

Protest - where did that ever get us....

(not having a dig Wes, I get what (I think) you were saying about causing hassle costs money.....

Genuinely did think of this post whilst I was listening to the report)

Context is required though. I understand what your saying but it’s the choosing your battles scenario. 

The PFI contract (I don’t agree with it, the contract that is) is rigged heavily in Amey’s favour, changes made by the council or uturns on Work to be done and the council is financially penalised. Where does the council get it’s money from?

No harm should happen as a direct result of the proposed works to be carried out on Sheffield’s Trees however it may do down to the stupidity of individuals protesting. 

In the grand scheme I personally don’t think this will upset the balance too much on the tree front plus there is a replanting plan in place. Sheffield has/had more trees than any other city in the UK (sure I read that and haven’t made it up) so arguably it’s overdue on the management front. 

Yes healthy trees may be up for the chop but let’s be honest we remove healthy trees for £ notes on a daily basis where allowed to allow sun in a back garden for example. 

I can’t be a hypocrit and denounce the removal of trees in a situation such as Sheffield’s tree management program when I’ll happily remove a tree for a lesser cause in someone’s back garden. Again I reiterate management plan more trees are being replanted. 

Before people say how dare I, I’m big enough and honest enough to say I love doing what I do but primarily it’s an income it supports me and mine. 

I dont know the ins and outs of the contract nor do I want to devote my time towards finding out (time, precious, family) I’m not saying I agree with how the contract come about but the trees still need managing and if the council kept it in house in all likelihood the same Trees would be down for removal, it would just happen on a slower scale. 

How many protesters, people of Sheffield would put a claim in for falling on an uneven or broken pavement caused by roots? How much has been paid out in claims due to situations/accidents caused by damaged pavements due to trees?

Sheffield is managing its stock, well or not, is I suppose what we are debating but it is managing as agin its replanting as well as removing in what I’d hope a better setting/environment/location  where future problems are perceived to be less forthcoming. 

I highly doubt the works completed would even add up to what’s removed in 1 day in say Brazil. 

How many of these protesters use/have everyday items that have come from the direct removal of trees? I bet most have tables, chairs, sheds etc etc I bet most have used and continue to use paper, I bet most have chewed gum etc etc

As for your example or thoughts well I’m against crime and in that context would agree with the protest and I’m all for him staying inside with his spork. Again the context thing kicks into play, we are allowed to remove trees @kevinjohnsonmbe and it’s ok to do so heck we get paid to do so, it isn’t ok or allowed however to rape someone.  

Hope thats changed the way you think of me somewhat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WesD said:

Hope thats changed the way you think of me somewhat. 

I didn't think badly of you before Wes, and I certainly don't after.  You make a fair point and present it well - there are some elements that are impossible to disagree with.

Your post about protest (wether it's seemingly worthwhile or not) struck a chord and remained with me to resurface when I heard that story about the taxi rapist.  

Of course the scenarios are about as far apart as could be imagined, but where I drew the similarity was in the 'apparent' hopelessness of the protest, the single minded determination to continue with a cause that is felt just and, ultimately, triumph in the face of great adversity.  

I guess another way to define it would be pig-headed stubbornness...  xD

Genuinely, I meant no criticism by raising the comparison, more that it might be considered complimentary that something you said is still working through people(s') thought processes long after you said it or, as Oscar Wilde said "...There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about..." 

He was wrong, obviously, having a Rottweiler dangling from your delicates would be worse.....  He just had a better way with words than me....  :$

• Like 1

Sorry Maria, I'm not quite following your point.

One of the less biased Sheffield media types wrote an article after interviewing some of the arborists in Sheffield last month.. A few have quit their jobs after threats of violence to both themselves and their families, while others who are still employed have claimed similar intimidation from protesters.

I don't know how anyone else feels, but if I go to work to carry out a lawful activity and someone who opposes that threatens me or mine, I'd be mighty pissed.

I really don’t understand the ‘save the trees, but kill the people’ value system.
It really is insane.

3 hours ago, TIMON said:

I really don’t understand the ‘save the trees, but kill the people’ value system.
It really is insane.

It's the 'I want what I want' culture. 

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

having a Rottweiler dangling from your delicates would be worse

Try having two...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...