sheffield trees

daveatdave

10 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that that figure is no more than a guide for the tender process. 

So for the purpose of tendering it's a case for allowing for up to 17500 tree removals and associated costs to complete the works.

From what I gather Gary the Council and Amey have contradicted themselves when discussing the contract and seem to skirt around the actual wording. This is what is found within the contract

“ Amey shall replace trees "at a rate of not less than 200 per year so that 17,500 are replaced by the end of the term in accordance with the Highway Tree Replacement Policy". The contract adds that this figure can only be changed if Sheffield Council “approval has been obtained for deviation from this policy”.

Edited by sean

If 17500 trees is half of all the street trees and the intention is to replace them over the term of the contact (25 yrs?) how does actually compare with other councils tree strategy?

Bearing in mind the claims of a lack of any cohesive management strategy for Sheffield trees over the last twenty years.

6 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

I’ve just been looking up about HS2. That is going to be a disaster in terms of trees lost but don’t hear much said about it

Yep another disaster for sure. Twenty plus ancient woodlands under threat. 

24 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

If 17500 trees is half of all the street trees and the intention is to replace them over the term of the contact (25 yrs?) how does actually compare with other councils tree strategy?

Bearing in mind the claims of a lack of any cohesive management strategy for Sheffield trees over the last twenty years.

There's no sound arboricultural reason to fell that many trees.  However the council have got themselves in a bind because they've signed a contract that stipulates that the'yll have 17500 trees felled. 

3 hours ago, sean said:

Yea just step aside and let those in authority do what the hell they please with no remonstrations. Great advice. Lets live in a dictatorship and question nothing. Let those in power do what they like despite lots of well respected professionals calling for it to stop, that the tree replacement policy is a sham.  Very intelligent advice. Thanks

They are going to achieve what they please regardless! The policy may be a sham but you ain’t going to stop it. 

In FACT your making it worse, your adding to the cost!!!!

The fact you can’t see that it will happen anyhow tells me all I need to know about intelligence. 

• Haha 1