How to save for retirement?

Woodworks

46 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Is Land worth a punt? I’m sure it depends on the quality of land and location but surely would increase in value regardless and some income to be made from renting out etc.. got to be better than having money sat in the bank

They’re not making it any more, that’s for sure.

On paying fees for investment - I have this view - if I invest £100 for a year and the fella gives me back £130 and takes £5, I am pretty happy.

If I invest £100 and he gives me £90 and takes £5 then I am pretty unhappy.

Focus less on the fees and more on the performance and bear in mind that you can invest directly with most Investment Fund Managers. Avoid the Bank type ones and some of the real big Assurance type companies unless their figures pan out - This website is useful - https://www.trustnet.com/fund/price-performance/t/investment-trusts?tab=fundOverview

I would stick with larger funds in UK or Europe investing in large companies, I say that as large companies do well in volatile situations and larger funds are generally coveted by the Fund Managers - not rocket science really. New kids on the block may give great performance for short periods but the long game should be a better approach.

There are a many companies out there that many probably haven't heard of but are well known investment institutions used by most financial investors - Jupiter, Schroeder, Hendersons, JP Morgan to name but a few!

I am also be happy to pay a high fee for high growth. However, it often tends to be the case that lower fee funds (e.g. simple trackers) outperform higher fee funds. It also used to be the case you'd get a better deal via a broker than going direct to a fund manager.  Something to check when you've decided what you want to invest in.

Thing is at 50 I would expect someone to be going for safer investments, ones returning say 5-7% on average. This is where a small difference in fees will have a noticeable impact.

• Like 1

just got round to reading this thread, pretty interesting and enlightening as to how people manage their pensions..

My pension plan is to have none, I live frugally when and where | can, always have..   so getting by on little is gonna be how I go about my pension business..  not for everyone I know, and thats where my next bit of advice comes into play...

related to bitcoin in some regards..   split your pension into two accounts..  perm any one of the previous mentioned, and put the other half of your savings into gold.. 

I've seen loads of vids of top pro's advising people to get into gold, and for the most part ain't wrong to advise it..  unlike stocks and shares, gold goes up in value during a recession. so you get something of a balance of risk with gold..

Then theres what the world looks like in fifty years, not that I expect to be around in fifty years mind.. though, it might just be possible ermm..  

anyways, long term. gold..  stocks and shares might be a thing now, how will they perform in future?.

5 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

How much do you need to invest to be worth having a managed fund? Presuming it's nonsense with just a few k in it

at least half a million, in fact thats the amount most people need to pay in to get a half decent pension..