Whats your multione loader doing today ?

digaholedumper

Both if I’m honest, plus I save money on chiropractors.

I’ve followed your thread with interest on mini loaders, I’m not one of those guys who says “I have this thing so it’s the best thing ever” so I can see that not being able to get it into a UK back garden would rule it out.

My MO cost an awful lot of moolah, over €50k with the attachements, but with more pragmatic pricing I reckon it’s moved me up another level. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Fair question.

Some factors.

We mullered a very large ash (or retrenched depending on your viewpoint) too dangerous for the lads to play chicken under the tree whilst I slammed the bits down,  at the base there was a house high iggledy piggledy pile of large ash branches, you’re seeing it nearly cleared up and  finished when I was taking some pics to send to the client.

With the loader we were able to go in and pull the branches out separately and take them up the (deceivingly) steep slope.

'Mullered/retrenched depending on your viewpoint' is pure gold!

I'm nicking that one Mick!

The access thing I keep banging on about really is key.

I'm throttling right back now, not moving forward, but I'm still interested. Every job we've had any machinery on just opens up new possibilities.

Mick's job is a classic example.

Sometimes as a climber you just want to wreck the tree and get down, but that means coming down to a big pile of misery and pissed off groundies.

Not with that set-up.

Big investment for sure, but as others have said it's a years wages for one bloke. No holidays, pension, sickness, overtime blah blah blah.

I want the smallest articulated wheeled loader that will fit up a ginnel, with a grapple. And any kind of 'cab' would be a plus. That would save me £300/year on 'waterproof' jackets.

The big plus for me would be sitting on my arse, which, let's face it, isn't real work (I make no apologies to professional drivers, it just isn't).

I've probably humped hundreds of tonnes of timber around, on my shoulder, under my arm or in a barrow.

If I'm totally honest I'm feeling it now, hence the throttling back.

Arb is a tough game. No one will feel sorry for you because you're a physical wreck and need two days to do a one day job.

Ben, I totally hear your comments about a good man would have that done just as quick.

It's like watching a civilian hire a mini-digger to dig a trench you would have dug before 9 without taking your shirt off.

But.... Hydraulic power is the future.

I'd be very interested to hear comments from people who've gone down the mini-loader route and regretted it.

Not so much skidsteers, I'm talking wheeled, articulated.

• Like 1

+1 Mark. You have to look after yourself and machine likes this will do that. With my MO there are often situations where a large petrol hedge cutter will be just as quick as using the hedge cutter attachment. The difference - feeling a bit lazy sitting in my nice comfy chair or achey hands from the vibrtations sore shoulders from the weight. I know which I prefer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Both if I’m honest, plus I save money on chiropractors.

My MO cost an awful lot of moolah, over €50k with the attachements, but with more pragmatic pricing I reckon it’s moved me up another level. 

That's the thing, I haven't lifted a log (except to put it on the log burner) for over 2 years.. So I am less interested in it making life easier..:)  But if it makes things quicker it can earn money... and I am obviously concerned for my employees welfare.. Although I spoke to another local contractor and he said he's getting a digger so he can get rid of a man, so I am not sure the employee in that case will agree it's a boon to his welfare...

A human body is a remarkable tool and you don't need a lot of training to lump logs...  There is not much investment required for a groundie and they can be used for a variety of tasks ..

I also get the wages for a year the not being sick but they do break....

Have a look at the 4-5 series MultiOne specs for the money nothing comes close to lift capacity v size and weight. There getting very popular with fellow arborists( one guy recently just bought one with no demo just what he heard and read about them here).  and for it’s spec is why I bought one before I started selling them. This was after months of research and demos from various manufacturers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

“I have this thing so it’s the best thing ever”

This is a good point.  Predominantly, the only folk commenting here are those that are already 'bought in' to the concept.  Maybe it's because there aren't so many units out there yet that there isn't a broad spectrum of opinion?  Unlike chippers - if it's bad, people say so.

Maybe there just aren't enough users yet to hear from someone that regrets, or has had a bad experience, from the MO/Avant style yet?

I spent 2 years looking and trying before settling on the MO.  Looked at the micro wheeled and tracked units, looked at the next level up (can't remember the name, the more forestry spec unit - dealer up by Cirencester somewhere.)

You just have to settle for what works best for you.  For me, the extra lift/power + the additional utility was enough to justify the relatively small price point increase in comparison to the smaller units.  It can do SO much, it fits on a trailer and tows behind a PU.  Some jobs it's ideal, some it's more hassle than it's worth to take it.      

4 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

I worried I am turning into an old timer stuck in my ways..  When I started there were guys out their who thought chippers were a waste of money.. They didn't need these new fangled chipping machines.. They took stuff to the quarry and had a big fire.. 

You said in your other thread you have tried a Kanga so why not try other loaders or even better loader out and see what you are missing in you tool arsenal.