Why isn't the arbtalk employment working for me.. :(

benedmonds

On 20/10/2017 at 08:39, Nathanzac said:

I didn't think this was a reasonable wage. I'm not expecting the earth but I'm 35 and still have bills to pay. All I was after was £10ph. I done an 11.5 hr shift and earnt £94.87. He has a subbie that only has basic lantra saw qualification and chipper and is on £90 for a 9hr day

To be honest mate, I was 35 when i started as a tree surgeon. I had to start off on £70 a day, and i had rent, car to run and bills etc. When you start a career at the bottom, whatever age you are, you gotta take the hit. I've been doing the job 3 and half years now and get £120 a day. But to be honest ,I'd like to earn more. So I've started doing my own work with my own van so i can take home £200 a day or more. But that takes investment too.

Unfortunately in this industry, it's hard to make decent money without starting your own business. But everyone complains there's too many tree surgeon firms about. This is because it's difficult to make a good living working for other people unless you're a top, super fast climber on £150-200 a day. Which is diffcult to get outside of London.

If i could earn £160 a day, I probably wouldn't bother starting my own firm. But up here in Derbyshire, it's hard to find anyone who'd pay anywhere near that.

• Like 2

In 1998 I was on £5.30 an hour landscaping and shovelling coal, I could do 100 hrs a week if I wanted with 4 miles travelling.
I dropped to £4.30 an hour as a trainee climber near Glasgow, 1 hours travelling either side of the day and no OT.
Had to buy my own climbing gear and saws and move out a nice warm flat and move into a freezing 50 year old prefab, but I was living my dream.
You can make good money doing anything but only if you are good at it and most start at the bottom.

• Like 2

In 1998 I was on £5.30 an hour landscaping and shovelling coal, I could do 100 hrs a week if I wanted with 4 miles travelling.
I dropped to £4.30 an hour as a trainee climber near Glasgow, 1 hours travelling either side of the day and no OT.
Had to buy my own climbing gear and saws and move out a nice warm flat and move into a freezing 50 year old prefab, but I was living my dream.
You can make good money doing anything but only if you are good at it and most start at the bottom.

I think you sum it up nicely.
Work hard get good at something invest your time and money and it will pay off.
It won’t be easy or quick to get there.

Newly qualified teachers only get £11ph
Admittedly with lots of holidays.
But proves to me that a starting wage in this kind of work at 8.25 is not too bad as you can get “qualified” in weeks not years