Your worst ever worker (stories!)

Mick Dempsey

Aside of climbers that powder their noses I suppose some dopy groundy`s come close to taking the biscuit , like the one we had a few years ago that was totally oblivious to everything going around him. Despite receiving very clear instruction decided to wander into the drop zone to test his helmet, it loosened his dentures a bit and woke him up.

image.jpg1_zpsok5iiwgq.jpg

Edited by aspenarb
fat fingers

13 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Aside of climbers that powder their noses I suppose some dopy groundy`s come close to taking the biscuit , like the one we had a few years ago that was totally oblivious to everything going around him. Despite receiving very clear instruction decided to wander into the drop zone to test his helmet, it loosened his dentures a bit and woke him up.

image.jpg1_zpsok5iiwgq.jpg

Bit of duct tape it will be fine.... As for stupidity I don't know how to fix that.

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

The climber is the boss, it’s not for the groundy to tell him how to do it.

not always especially if the climber is inexperienced  and the groundy is experienced. in oldwood cutters case the fact that it took the new climber took 3 hours to get up the tree should of suggested he may need a bit of help/ guidance from the ground.  

• Like 1

I've taken a freshly ticketed 'climber' under my wing recently. We gave him some chipping to do recently with a CS100. It was taking him bloody ages. Then the other climber who could see him from the tree shouted down to me 'He's got it on tickover!' I couldn't hear over my own saw otherwise I'd have picked up on that.

Ty

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 21/10/2017 at 20:56, Joe Newton said:

but would you chuck a fresh outta college climber into a biggish takedown without any supervision?

That branch didn't sound like an easy hand held...

I blame the assessor/college for making new lads think they can do the job when they can't and handing out tickets to students who clearly aren't safe 

Might be a harsh opinion 

• Like 6

I blame the assessor/college for making new lads think they can do the job when they can't and handing out tickets to students who clearly aren't safe 
Might be a harsh opinion 

No names mentioned but when I was at college one of the lads was about 30 clem and never left the ground but somehow managed to come out with his climbing ticket. Hmmmm......

34 minutes ago, Christopher Schroeter said:

No names mentioned but when I was at college one of the lads was about 30 clem and never left the ground but somehow managed to come out with his climbing ticket. Hmmmm......

I had to peel one of those off a tree once, he belonged to a guy that I was winching some trees in for. Sent him up to attach a bond while we were positioning the tractor and noticed he was clamped to the tree and not moving, had to get a ladder in the end and go up there to talk him down. Full of tickets and straight out of Merrist wood :confused1:

Bob

• Confused 1