Your worst ever worker (stories!)

Mick Dempsey

18 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Just a few weeks ago I gave a recently ticketed climber a days experience with us.
He talked a good account of himself so I let him loose dismantling what was I suppose an 80 foot grey poplar.
I called to check progress with my main man on the ground at 11, only to be told that after 3 hours he had only now got up to the top and fixed his anchor point.
I headed over there to see what the holdup was, to arrive just after the first main limb came down, not rigged and lowered but cut and let it go, butt end first straight through a pan tiled roof, through the void, and penetrated the plasterboard ceiling below.
No wonder my hairs turned white and I look about 85.

FFS!! what a cock!!!:thumbdown:

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

The climber is the boss, it’s not for the groundy to tell him how to do it.

I agree, but with something like a big limb that may have been deflected by uncut branches or anyhow a good chance of hitting the roof - a word of warning is not out of place - sometimes a passenger in a car must have helped avoid an accident by pointing out something the driver hadnt seen. Its a shame he managed to blag it and now Old has to fork out - reminds me of a story in the paper - someone made up a false CV and got a job managing an NHS trust

Simply being on site for a bit to see the guy knows his stuff is a minimum.

If a guy is turning up on site with my name on the van I’d want to be reasonably sure he knew a bit more than I did when I was newly qualified.

Not knocking OWC, but rigging large pops over property is something I’d either do myself or leave to someone I knew and trusted.

13 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Honestly Dave over 20 years ago I made mistakes like that. 

Its the the responsibility of the boss to ensure the climber is up to the task.

I can genuinely say I never made mistakes like that. Why would you?:confused1:

Because in order to get climbing work (in 95/6) one, after being newly qualified, either assumes or hopes you can take on challenging work, for the boss (at that time ) with a full diary and commercial and private clients nagging to get the work done, the temptation is to send these guys out and hope for the best.

et voilà!

Edited by Mick Dempsey