Rates

Jon kelly

1 hour ago, SWORDSTA said:

150 squid a day for a climber who provides all his own kit is laughable! Go lads, see what type of mortgage you get in today's day and age with that tuppence, especially here in Kent.

Just look around how many climbing jobs can't be filled, it's no longer worth it, a chippy can charge up to 250 a day for working in a warm house with his radio going and minimal kit. Our industry has been left behind.

That's 40k a year!

46 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Not profit though.

That's based on working 52 weeks if the year, with no holiday or sickness, and overheads. To replace my climbing kit alone would be around £1500. 3 saws come in at close to 2k.

You tell 'em Joe.

£40k/year for a self employed subby isn't good money, it's average money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

The average person in the UK earns £27,200 a year  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4412440/Average-salary-145-UK-jobs-revealed.html#ixzz4tj6V51Xo 

I presume those figures are based on a person being employed?, with holiday pay, pension, maybe sick pay, use of a company vehicle. Not someone who runs all their own gear. Trucks, trailers, machines and the like need paying for.

Please come back and clear up if I've got it wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

Not profit though.

That's based on working 52 weeks if the year, with no holiday or sickness, and overheads. To replace my climbing kit alone would be around £1500. 3 saws come in at close to 2k.

Do you replace each saw annually? Just asking.

I think you've probably under valued your climbing kit if you include rigging equipment. 

I see the £27k average a lot but it's pretty meaninglessness since most people earn much less. For example the Welsh average is £19k and both include the people on a million plus.

There are reports saying that without the top 10% of earners average salary is more like 13k a year, even if you take that with a pinch of salt the majority of people have to be below average. 

Average wage is never going to matter to most of us anyway, everyone wants more money but the main thing is doing a job you enjoy. I would rather earn less being outside than making 20k a year working in an office.