How are the veggies coming along?

Mick Dempsey

9 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Shit I haven’t planted anything yet- you lot are making me feel stressed. I’m installing a greenhouse at the moment- so will get some seeds going ASAP.

Plenty time Matthew,you,ll catch up?

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet
11 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Shit I haven’t planted anything yet- you lot are making me feel stressed. I’m installing a greenhouse at the moment- so will get some seeds going ASAP.

Relax. I usually plant too early. Especially runner beans and they end up climbing out of the greenhouse before the frosts have finished. 

Beetroot, rocket, spinach and lettuce are showing outside. Leeks, broad beans, tomatoes coming on under glass. Some marrows I sowed have gone mad. Haven't even got anywhere to put them yet. 

35 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I've debated whether to sow runners yet under glass. I'm waiting another week or I'll be planting out before the frosts finish.

I planted half a row of dwarf French beans under glass 9 days ago. They're already up and going like hellfire. I keep them under cover because of the mice, seems to really work for me. They seem to grow twice as fast from when I had them on my allotment in Dorset. Not dissimilar winter and Spring weather as Dorchester where we lived.

• Like 3

beetroot, salad, carrots, chard, kale and purple sprouting in the polly tunnel, all over wintered in there. got a load of potato’s in the raised beds outside. cucumbers and corgettes pretty much ready to be planted out. got a tray of spring onions, beetroot and dwarf  french beans to plant out in the next week or so. more psb in the propagator with onions and sweet peppers. bit slow off the mark with toms this year, most of mine are only 4-6 inches tall. got lots more salad to plant out as well in the next week-10 days 

All looking good so far 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

beetroot, salad, carrots, chard, kale and purple sprouting in the polly tunnel, all over wintered in there. got a load of potato’s in the raised beds outside. cucumbers and corgettes pretty much ready to be planted out. got a tray of spring onions, beetroot and dwarf  french beans to plant out in the next week or so. more psb in the propagator with onions and sweet peppers. bit slow off the mark with toms this year, most of mine are only 4-6 inches tall. got lots more salad to plant out as well in the next week-10 days 

All looking good so far 

Bloody hell your well ahead by the sounds of things John

Guest Gimlet
1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

I planted half a row of dwarf French beans under glass 9 days ago. They're already up and going like hellfire. I keep them under cover because of the mice, seems to really work for me. They seem to grow twice as fast from when I had them on my allotment in Dorset. Not dissimilar winter and Spring weather as Dorchester where we lived.

I lost my runner beans once to a frost in the middle of May. Bit wary now. 

Saying that, I've jumped the gun with some marrow plants. Got ten of them hardening off already. Need to slow them down a bit. 

I usually try a few runner beans early. I plant out early may but surround the bean canes with corrugated plastic roofing sheets to protect against cold winds and it will protect against a touch of frost but not a hard one. I always back up with some bean seeds planted mid may just in case. Obviously some people either very lucky, very foolish or much warmer climate than me. I remember a frost on 8th June one year I think it was 1991. Wiped out a crop of early spuds that were close to being ready!