Tree Root Removal with JCB

Billhook

Always helps if the stumps been left higher to give leverage, dig a ring all the way around the stump, may have to go a way out to get away from the thickest parts of the roots, use smallest bucket you've got so so you can dig between the roots, rocking the stump will show where the roots that are still holding are, if you can clean round them enough, you can then axe or saw them off and wriggle it again to find the next.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from experience, many use the pulling force of the boom, rather than the leverimg force, and the two are very different.

You need to crowd under one corner of the stump, while pulling the dipper in towards tne machine, then push the boom out. This puts massive levering forces under the stump, and it should come out. I have dug similar sized ones out with my 0.8tonne machine!

I suppose I could chain together the D7, the County 1124, the Fastrac 2170 and the Matbro and see what happens!

The neighbour has a 600 hp 25 ton Case Quadtrac.............

Sounds like you've got all the gear Bill. Is this a job for a client or for yourself? Hope you've allowed more than a day. That machine should of had that stump by bait time. Is the hydraulic pump down on power? Ovbiously the use of ANFO is a lost art:001_rolleyes:

Sounds like you've got all the gear Bill. Is this a job for a client or for yourself? Hope you've allowed more than a day. That machine should of had that stump by bait time. Is the hydraulic pump down on power? Ovbiously the use of ANFO is a lost art:001_rolleyes:

I think that the digger, though past its sell by date like the owner is still capable of pulling its weight uphill with the boom. In the same way I can just about manage to do some pullups but not as many I as when I was younger!

Also when I tried it sideways it easily pulled the digger over onto one track

When I pulled length ways it pulled the digger up hill until it reached the bank of soil when it stopped and still would not move the thing!

Yes I know the bucket has a bigger tear out force but the bucket may be too long being a trenching bucket, and therefore lose some geometric advantage.

Unfortunately the shorter bucket I have is a ditching bucket and not so strong.

I will dig deeper and try that, hope there are no water or gas mains down there............just joking, I have checked.

from experience, many use the pulling force of the boom, rather than the leverimg force, and the two are very different.

You need to crowd under one corner of the stump, while pulling the dipper in towards tne machine, then push the boom out. This puts massive levering forces under the stump, and it should come out. I have dug similar sized ones out with my 0.8tonne machine!

I've done the same by hand, before the use of stumpgrinders and no access for plant. Simply requires a zen like state of mind, a big enough hole and an attitude that when there's no more roots it'll come out. You can't rush stumps

I applied a bit of Zen to the controls of the JCB and retracted the sliding boom. This together with the wet soil just tipped the balance and after a mighty struggle out it came.

Picked it up with the Matbro rated at 2.7 tons and the red overload was flashing all the way down the track.

The lads bought a beer to celebrate

IMG_0536.jpg.eb78a610f9bfa77e0caf94325920cd51.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg.08eb2889e46ddfebcb154998dc96f27e.jpg