Working around nesting birds

Steve Bullman

Well, I'm happy for you guys who found that the bird returned to resume its parenting duties. I wasn't so lucky - twice last year nearly chopping through nests in dense hedge, one with chicks the other with eggs. I covered them, of course, but after a few weeks was clear that the chicks and eggs had died or been eaten by something. Very sad.... not doing nay more hedges until season's over - and tough titties to the clients...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel if you explain the legalities to the client of wildlife and countryside act they are almost always happy to delay the works until the nests are fledged!

Not doing so in my opinion is totally immoral, unprofessional and cruel. And if you lack such empathy you don't separate yourself from the dog fighting, badger baiting scum that roam our land.

If you find a nest during work STOP and finish once fledged. It's simple and it's the law for a reason. If the client does not respect this report them!

I feel if you explain the legalities to the client of wildlife and countryside act they are almost always happy to delay the works until the nests are fledged!

Not doing so in my opinion is totally immoral, unprofessional and cruel. And if you lack such empathy you don't separate yourself from the dog fighting, badger baiting scum that roam our land.

I can see where you are coming from in a way.

But

Accidentally disturbing a nest and then relocating it is hardly the same as dog fighting or badger baiting.

FTR I have pulled off plenty of jobs due to nesting birds. But then again it would be a lie to try and claim I havnt accidentally discovered a nest whilst working.

Edited by Rich Rule

That's what I thought, pathetic comment, badger baiting & dog fighting next it'll be cock fighting and hare coarsing

All silly jokes aside Iv done a lot worse then moving pigeons on !! Done a grafite removal job last year in a tunnel going under the railway & had to move a tramp on !!

I can see where you are coming from in a way.

But

Accidentally disturbing a nest and then relocating it is hardly the same as dog fighting or badger.

Agreed but I have spoken to people who will just kick a nest out a tree if they come across it or put a nest with chicks through the chipper it was more this action that I was comparing the cruelty.

Hi,

We get many calls about bird nesting i.e. Roof spaces, facial boards. Not trees !

Rule to thumb, if eggs and chicks back of don't touch as mother bird can leave and not return .

Starlings are now protected for sometime now.

As you guys are dealing with trees ! You may not see the droppings splatter marks! We do on houses and from this info we can determine to a degree what type of birds may be causing the problem.

We do check and explain to the house occupier the nest has chicks and most agree to leave well alone and let them hatch. If the occupier says get rid, We decline and walk away.

What do you mean? I personally won't disturb Birds, we have a code of conduct in which each case is dealt with.

Even crows , jackdaws, magpies these are pests in respect of the schedule covering Pest All alternatives must be considered .

Never heard of anyone getting prosecuted, but there could be a first.