Cost of trade!

Aaron king

It is ironic that brickies who get paid handsomely have to spend the least on tools . A bucket full of trowels , hammers and chisels , and a couple of levels and they are good to go

As a builder I wish I could get away with only those few tools. By the time you add up approx 8 ton of scaff and batons, a couple dozen acro props a few mixers, tracked mini dumper, forklift , mini digger+ trailer and all the electrical tools like drills impact drivers,plaster whisks and breakers

( just bought a new hilt I te 80, well over a grand) you've got a massive dent in the bank balance

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a builder I wish I could get away with only those few tools. By the time you add up approx 8 ton of scaff and batons, a couple dozen acro props a few mixers, tracked mini dumper, forklift , mini digger+ trailer and all the electrical tools like drills impact drivers,plaster whisks and breakers

( just bought a new hilt I te 80, well over a grand) you've got a massive dent in the bank balance

This. Except I decided to spend 20k on sawmilling gear and chainsaws to supplement my framing business.

Subby tradesmen may have it cheaper but compare that to a Subby groundie or climber who doesn't need that much kit either.

As stated the grass is always greener and everybody decides what there willing to work for.

If your a subby (in any trade) and you have say £2000 in tools, and you replace them every 2 years, this works outs at about £5.50 per working day- which should be easily be covered by your day rate. As soon as you start running your own show that is where the costs escalate- particularly running big kit, plus all the usual business running costs.

It is ironic that brickies who get paid handsomely have to spend the least on tools . A bucket full of trowels , hammers and chisels , and a couple of levels and they are good to go .

To be fair to brickies, their trade is out in the weather and one of the more likely ones to be stopped due to bad weather.

To be fair to brickies, their trade is out in the weather and one of the more likely ones to be stopped due to bad weather.

All the trees I do are outside in all weather's as well:confused1:

Not only is PPE, climbing and lowering kit expensive, after a couple of years we have to throw it all away 'cos its out of date:001_huh: Even thought it looks fine to me:001_rolleyes:

All the trees I do are outside in all weather's as well:confused1:

Not only is PPE, climbing and lowering kit expensive, after a couple of years we have to throw it all away 'cos its out of date:001_huh: Even thought it looks fine to me:001_rolleyes:

I think the point is, you, like me can still work in the cold and rain if we choose to.

Brickies can't lay bricks in cold weather or rain, they don't get the choice.