Advice sought for new Arb business.

Macaulay

I've done freelance climbing and it hasn't always been straight forward or the best experience.

I'm set on giving it a go on my own. I have about 5 good mates who will all ground work and rescue climb when needed at weekends which should see me through to start off with.

Out of interest is this advice you would have given yourself when you started out.

I freelance, its not sustainable long term though so setting up a business is probably preferable. Depends what you want though. Freelancing brings zero stress for the most part.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MWB. LWB will give you a massive back that you'll be tempted to fill up. You'll be constantly overweight

Great thanks for confirming that.

I've just been reading about the Transit master key central locking which is making me think twice about a transit. I've seen a few Mercedes tippers at a reasonable price does anyone run one?

Out of interest is this advice you would have given yourself when you started out.

To be honest when I started out I wasn't aware of the freelance market. But I know what I have to pay decent freelancers and compared to what I took home when I started and the ball ache of running the show I think I would have been better off freelance. You would also learn how other outfits work... Long term freelance seems to work for some people..

To be honest when I started out I wasn't aware of the freelance market. But I know what I have to pay decent freelancers and compared to what I took home when I started and the ball ache of running the show I think I would have been better off freelance. You would also learn how other outfits work... Long term freelance seems to work for some people..

Be interested to know how old the oldest freelancer is and how they are doing/enjoying themselves. I guess lots of folk get to a point where they prefer to do less climbing and have all the knowledge to run a team relatively easily?

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

Morning Ben, I have considered the stress and hassle of starting out but because I have the guaranteed income of my Tree officer job I feel that will take some of the pressure off.

I hope to do a bit of freelancing with the thought that I could get a decent rate if I bring a van and chipper with me.

Working with an established outfit would be great I will have to see if there is a demand for it in my area.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a tail lift on my van when I first got it, came in handy here an there but eventually took it off to save weight..

Took me a morning to take it off, should of taken an hr but I was doin it on my own, so took my time and was extra careful.. a couple of bolts to undo and remove the electrics..

easier than you might think..

I had a tail lift on my van when I first got it, came in handy here an there but eventually took it off to save weight..

Took me a morning to take it off, should of taken an hr but I was doin it on my own, so took my time and was extra careful.. a couple of bolts to undo and remove the electrics..

easier than you might think..

Brilliant thanks for that. I'm mechanically retarded but my dad knows what he's doing!