Ochsenkopf vs Gransfors vs Fiskars Splitting Axe/Maul?

TimberCutterDartmoor

To be honest, I'm quite shocked that ya'all raving about the X27. It looks a characterless implement if ever there was one. I've also been concerned as to shaft snapping below the head as reported online...

I was the exact same, no way did i think an axe could be so good esp when most have fibre glass shafts nowadays (just old enough to remember the difference fibre glass shafts made to fencing mels when they were 1st made)

Picked it up and thought i'd made a mistake until i swung it at some wood.

I have split some ugly beech rings, 3ft dai and 18" thick as long as u pick round the sides, my other splitting mual was just bouncing off.

Sure shafts are a lifetime guarantee, but any shaft can snap anyway, even ur top end 1's are often on wooden shanks and there twice the money

For the money it is a really decent axe

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a fiskars x21 that I bought as a general purpose axe because it was on offer.

It's the best axe I have ever had, small enough for one hand but plenty big enough for 2. I have split so much wood with it, I keep thinking about getting an x27 but I'm not sure it's worth it as the x21 can do so much.

Personally I think the fiskars has plenty of "character"

I have the husqvarna s60 i think its almost identical to the fiskars x17

Husqvarna do a bigger one to the equivalent of the x27 i got the husky as it was easier to come by than the fiskars for me

Personally i would go for the smaller one as it will do 90% of what the bigger one will and can be used one handed for kindling or smaller logs so is a more multipurpose tool

I've had my X27 a couple of years...paid more than £50... but as others have said, it is far better than it feels it ought to be.

I think the fact the shaft is so light and all the weight is in the head makes it a little like swinging a conker.

Very little stuff gets past it. And yes it ploughs through stuff my old maul would either get stuck in or bounce off.

I think on the basis that i have lent it to mates to try Fiskarss have sold at least 5 more.

Should have been on commission.

Now if they made chainsaw chains!!!!!

Edited by Bob_z_l
spelling

I find it depends on what type of wood your splitting. Personally I have a selection ranging from cheap axes and mauls to Gransfors and Wetterlings splitting axes. I also sometimes have to resort to sledge hammer and splitting grenade for the really twisty - grained stuff.

Out of couriosity, wot reason/type of wood would make u pick up a different axe?

And do u see a big difference fom the likes of a X27 to a 100 quid+ axe

Must admit i thought my old cheap 1 was good/OK till i got my X27 and i'm sure the other top end axes are also a joy to swing.

And i still have the wood grenade and sledge handy althou its rarely used.

I also think i'd not b too keen on using an expesive axe to batter in a wood grenade (plus as a kid always drummed into me at scouts never to use an axe as a hammer for safety reasons and its always stayed with me.)

I have the Gransfors maul and large splitting axe, and they are both awesome and beautiful tools.

I've used my mates X27 and was seriously impressed as well.

Absolutely no harm in owning all three!

Agree, I own a Gransfors, beautiful axe. I also have a couple of x27, one at home one at the yard. Axes are like quality knives, you can never have too many.