4wd tippers? Which is best?

TheHungrySquirrel

Sure, but how long does it take to shovel out a double cab chip box? Plus if you're that far off road you can usually leave the chip somewhere.

Ideally you'd run a transit/chipper, and a 4x4 with tipping trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Why would you be shoveling chip out of a tipper?!

Yeah, the double cab tippers do seem pointless, I was (unclearly) on about single cabs :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it's just me and the desperate sort of ground conditions I work in but I find a 4x4 with a load in the back is pretty good on most off road terrain, stick a decent sized trailer on the back and you increase its chances of 'spinning out' alot, fill said trailer with chip (or fencing stakes in my case) and its abilities on anything but pretty dry flattish agriculture ground is pretty hopeless all together.

Ifor trailers and the like just seem to dig into the ground when full and the increased drag on the tow vehicle is considerable.

What am I saying? 4x4 and 3.5t tipper is a great tool on road if maximising payload is your goal, nothing short of lorry territory will beat it. But as an off-road unit it's pretty limited and if a lot of your work involves off roading I'd say it's more effective to have the tipper in the truck and tow a light chipper. Or go tracked:thumbup1:

Why would you be shoveling chip out of a tipper?!

Yeah, the double cab tippers do seem pointless, I was (unclearly) on about single cabs :)

Fair enough mate. I don't see how people manage with a single cab tipper as a primary vehicle though. If your work it's mostly off road get a mot or tipping trailer.

Then again I've just bought a double cab with an alarm I can't turn off!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Interesting and informative but proves nothing. The figure are for the standard factory vehicles not tippers. The 130 flat bed is 14xxkg whereas the dmax tipper is 1400kg. Put all the tipping gear on the landrover and it would be lucky to get 1000kg in it legally

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

Edited by Coletti

Perhaps it's just me and the desperate sort of ground conditions I work in but I find a 4x4 with a load in the back is pretty good on most off road terrain, stick a decent sized trailer on the back and you increase its chances of 'spinning out' alot, fill said trailer with chip (or fencing stakes in my case) and its abilities on anything but pretty dry flattish agriculture ground is pretty hopeless all together.

Ifor trailers and the like just seem to dig into the ground when full and the increased drag on the tow vehicle is considerable.

What am I saying? 4x4 and 3.5t tipper is a great tool on road if maximising payload is your goal, nothing short of lorry territory will beat it. But as an off-road unit it's pretty limited and if a lot of your work involves off roading I'd say it's more effective to have the tipper in the truck and tow a light chipper. Or go tracked:thumbup1:

I'd agree. I have an older L200 double cab on BFG mud terrains. It's great in most offroad work situations and get me and a bed full of kit across fields, mud and boggy areas. What I like about it is not how it handles the rough stuff but how it copes with the easy. If I drove across a damp, level field you can barely see I've been there as the mud terrains don't slip at all. On road tyres or in a rwd transit we'd definitely leave tracks.

Towing a >750kg trailer even using mud terrains and it bogs down very quickly and leaves a mess. If I took our ifor 3017 tipper trailer with a full weight load across a wet field it would a nightmare.

I can definitely see the value on a single cab or king cab tipper. A double cab tipper is going to be limited though in my opinion.

yep id agree with that, especialy the tracked chipper bit, rarely take chip away with it, ( rural area mind)

Interesting and informative but proves nothing. The figure are for the standard factory vehicles not tippers. The 130 flat bed is 14xxkg whereas the dmax tipper is 1400kg. Put all the tipping gear on the landrover and it would be lucky to get 1000kg in it legally

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

My 110 has a payload of around 1100kg. Can't give exact figures as it very rarely gets chipped into these days