4wd tippers? Which is best?

TheHungrySquirrel

Will also cost a small fortune to buy and maintain.

Not in my experience, my 110 tipper has only used consumables over the last 5 years- a clutch, brake pads, oils and couple of half shafts with the exception of one fuel cooler pipe. Not sure where people get the idea that they are unreliable from, perhaps spending too little on the vehicle to begin with and buying someone's problems, or just bad luck

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LR Defender 130, put air assist springs on the back, so you can alter the ride depending on whether the tipper is empty or loaded / towing.

It will hold its value better than a Japanese 4x4, and parts / servicing are more readily available and in some cases cheaper. A Defender is true mechano kit.

And the still the Best4x4xfar with the best payload of them all......

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1489442583.219406.jpg.134b7a1ab0ce6e7e6835f95766e4029e.jpg

Not in my experience, my 110 tipper has only used consumables over the last 5 years- a clutch, brake pads, oils and couple of half shafts with the exception of one fuel cooler pipe. Not sure where people get the idea that they are unreliable from, perhaps spending too little on the vehicle to begin with and buying someone's problems, or just bad luck

I agree, had my 110 for 8 years, worked to the bone on and off road, regularly serviced, caused very little bother in all those years.

I think half the trouble with defenders is that there is such a vast range of aftermarket/ non genuine parts some of which are shockingly poor quality. People fit them and then moan that they breakdown. For me Landrover has been an exceptional workhorse at 20 years old and on same engine,gearbox axles etc. It's all about servicing and knowing how to use them without simply abusing them.

That all said they are outdated beyond belief and LR made no real attempt to ever improve the poor fit and finish that also lets them down.

LR Defender 130, put air assist springs on the back, so you can alter the ride depending on whether the tipper is empty or loaded / towing.

It will hold its value better than a Japanese 4x4, and parts / servicing are more readily available and in some cases cheaper. A Defender is true mechano kit.

And the still the Best4x4xfar with the best payload of them all......

[ATTACH]217928[/ATTACH]

So how much legaly is the payload on the defender? Bet it isn't close to what a dmax tipper is at a 1.4 ton payload

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

I think if you really need 4 wheel drive and tipping a tipping trailer is the best way to go legally. I've always though 4x4 tippers were a bit of a fad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I think almost all modern pickups are fads. Chromed testicle enhancements. It was Opel mantas and coupes in the 80s- early 90s

However it's the towing. I can see huge time saving in our fencing work with just a flatbed with dropsides, but even more with tipping capability. A standard tub these days is just numb. It's as awkward as getting in and out a rowing boat me thinks. Tipping trailers aren't massive . It's a compromise between weight and volume with our road regs.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I think if you really need 4 wheel drive and tipping a tipping trailer is the best way to go legally. I've always though 4x4 tippers were a bit of a fad.

I can see the use, with a little 5 inch chipper for pruning/small works, subby climber who does his own small jobs ect.

As for tipping trailers, volume wise, I get nearly 8m3 on mine, far more than even a 130 single cab. 3 more perhaps? More than toyota dynas for example too.

I can even get the tracked chipper on and 2-3m3 chip.

But returning to collect the chipper can be a bit of a chore. There isn't a single vehicle perfect setup!

I can see the use, with a little 5 inch chipper for pruning/small works, subby climber who does his own small jobs ect.

As for tipping trailers, volume wise, I get nearly 8m3 on mine, far more than even a 130 single cab. 3 more perhaps? More than toyota dynas for example too.

I can even get the tracked chipper on and 2-3m3 chip.

But returning to collect the chipper can be a bit of a chore. There isn't a single vehicle perfect setup!

Sure, but how long does it take to shovel out a double cab chip box? Plus if you're that far off road you can usually leave the chip somewhere.

Ideally you'd run a transit/chipper, and a 4x4 with tipping trailer.