Depression

eggsarascal

Just to add, I've never really heard of gps "pushing antidepressants or antibiotics " in fact, I can't imagine any medical professional pushing antibiotics, quite the opposite nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Unfortunately I know of people who insist on (and get) antibiotics for colds, etc. then they save them and take one when they have a pimple. It annoys the daylights out of me.

:confused1: really? you got any evidence to back this up????:001_huh:

Its a massive thing, my misses has bipolar, depression and a fee things. She spent nearly three years in bed, we changed our diet to eat nutrient dense clean food and she works five days a week now. Hardly ever has any problems or slips. Completely different person. Ill try and route you some info out afterwards

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1

I have had this thing to once, it is a bastard. A real bastard! First thing to do , just don't give a **** ! Second positive thinking, third change diet, fourth exercise ... avoid bread [emoji506], sugars, drink a lot of water.

Agree with not giving a ****! Not in every case but certainly in some cases depression finds fertile soil in a worried mind - and in our ever more complicated lives there's plenty to worry about, and some of our worries are illusions. I've experienced this, worrying about the state if the world etc. you can lose perspective and not realise it untill it's too late and you're miserable. Just stop giving a **** about certain things, it's quite liberating. The thing is to identify what not to care about, sort the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

• Like 1

Its a massive thing, my misses has bipolar, depression and a fee things. She spent nearly three years in bed, we changed our diet to eat nutrient dense clean food and she works five days a week now. Hardly ever has any problems or slips. Completely different person. Ill try and route you some info out afterwards

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app

So many foods are pure poison ! Perhaps a evil mind out there ?

I got in a real mess when I got divorced, wrangling with the ex and solicitors for child access, having to find somewhere to live, run a business and a tax bill I couldn't pay.

Medication didn't work, for me, but one thing that did help was eventually to learn to put the things aside that I couldn't deal with that day. Not trying to forget about them but acknowledging that they were beyond my control that day.

When everything seems an insurmountable burden, doing little things creates a sense of achievement - a positive step. Sometimes getting out of bed was the first thing, then making food, going out to buy food, building up to phoning or writing to people. (doing things I really didn't want to do or deal with)

Work was a saviour, I climbed for different people - so in my mind I was obliged to turn up, even when I really just wanted to pull the covers over my head.

• Like 1

I've always a had a default setting of negativity. This has sometimes developed into depression. Over time I've learnt to break things down into small chunks.

So if a sink full of dirty dishes seems overwhelming, I'll wash one cup.

If taking a long walk seems like too much, I'll take a walk around the garden.

If I can't face getting out of bed, I'll say to myself, "I'll count to ten then I'll sit up". Then after I've sat up, I'll say to myself, "I'll count to ten and then I'll put my feet on the floor". And so on until I've managed to get dressed, get properly vertical, made a cup of tea.

During the day I'll try to do something, anything that makes me feel better. If I'm out with the dog and see a bit of litter, I'll pick it up. Sometimes I'll pick up two bits. Some days I'll put a bag in my pocket and pick up more litter.

One thing I find really helpful for making me feel better is to help someone else do something. Anything. So today the cook in my cafe (my day job is running a cafe/deli) was under pressure because she had too much to do. So I asked her if I could prep the veg for the soup. Just chopping carrots, leeks and potatoes. It took me about 20 mins to do enough for 20 litres of soup but it took a wee bit of heat off the cook. I felt good about helping someone and she felt a bit less under pressure.

A couple of others have mentioned writing something down at the end of the day, something good that has happened that day. I do that quite often. I get a sheet of paper, split it into two columns. One is "Good Things That I Did". One is "Bad Things That Happened". It's a good sign off to the day, it kind of puts it to bed.

Before I try to go to sleep I also like to make a small list of what I'd like to achieve the next day. It's often very basic - something like...

1) Get out of bed

2) Go to shops for bread and milk

3) Sweep floor

4) Take dog out

5) Phone xxx

If I do these five things the next day then that day has been a success and anything else I do is a bonus.

I do that sort of thing a lot... break things down into manageable chunks.

And I try to always keep in mind that any bad feelings will pass.

• Like 1

A really nasty business, this is a particularly bad time of year - you are not alone, in fact in good company.

Churchill used to call it the "Black Dog" - it creeps up on you and bites your arse.

Do what you know is good for you mate, in the right line of work for plenty of exercise and fresh air.

It is so debilitating and people who haven't had it, just don't get it.

If your feeling ****, keep talking to people and fight on through until it's gone.

Bless you mate

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

• Like 1