Fishing addicts?

Big J

Hi very interesting thread and J I find it hard to believe 300 pike and no 20 you live in the right part of the country for a decent pike or 2,my success over the border was unstoppable and further north I went the fishing just got better SW Scotland was not very fruitful for me best fish 18.12 Lomond , Awe , Mentieth where all very kind with several 20s of each water Lomond 27.06 (pb) awe 25.04 mentieth 24.01,keep thinking of sorti g my boat out and heading to Lomond again , all I do now is a few trips to staithes in north Yorks cod n pollack a few trips out of our coast here form Fleetwood in my own boat tope and smoothhound fishing a few bass n plaice now n then and the lake district keeps calling but I believe it's a bit different now to when I fished it hard in late 90s early 2000s or it may be just a difrent breed of angler with different ideas , as I found in the 80s fishing large deep glassier lakes just either burn or bin all the rule books cos they don't work.

Hi very interesting thread and J I find it hard to believe 300 pike and no 20 you live in the right part of the country for a decent pike or 2,my success over the border was unstoppable and further north I went the fishing just got better SW Scotland was not very fruitful for me best fish 18.12 Lomond , Awe , Mentieth where all very kind with several 20s of each water Lomond 27.06 (pb) awe 25.04 mentieth 24.01,keep thinking of sorti g my boat out and heading to Lomond again , all I do now is a few trips to staithes in north Yorks cod n pollack a few trips out of our coast here form Fleetwood in my own boat tope and smoothhound fishing a few bass n plaice now n then and the lake district keeps calling but I believe it's a bit different now to when I fished it hard in late 90s early 2000s or it may be just a difrent breed of angler with different ideas , as I found in the 80s fishing large deep glassier lakes just either burn or bin all the rule books cos they don't work.

Some excellent fish there - very jealous!

The water I've fished can best be described as a 'runs' water. The floats never stop going under but the fish tend to be small. Runs would typically come at 30 minute intervals. This was never an issue for me before, but I've decided I'd really like a 20 (or larger).

I'm scoping a new water reasonably locally that I'm optimistic about. It's fairly large, completely unfished and I reckon has the potential to contain thirties.

Used to fish a fair bit when I was at school, never really had much luck coarse fishing in general but used to enjoy freelining bread down the local beck for Brown trout (usually sub 30cm but had a few around 1.5lb) and used to go out sea fishing a bit from Brid (mainly Cod and Dab).

Have been trying to get round to getting back into it but it's been a bit sporadic so far :blushing:

Been ice fishing a few times though now and quite enjoy that. Still hunting for an Arctic Char but had a few small Perch and then last week got my first (tiny) Burbot.

DSCN2547.jpg.6dde3a76b49d1fb8b4091eab7122cd50.jpg

DSCN2557.jpg.fed88ce65a755f1d9f077d04f501ad5d.jpg

DSCN2551.jpg.2aa879bbc4cca38da9c7c918327302d9.jpg

I'm not sure that the ice fishing appeals - it just looks incredibly cold!

Lovely barbel there Chris. Something you see very little of up here, which is a crying shame. One of the local coarse fisheries has mini barbel in one of the ponds, but they really are tiny. The fact that they seem to fight twice as hard as the carp only makes me want to catch them more.

Cheers fellas, barbel fight like nothing else, I've had carp to over 50lb and I'd say barbel are the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught.

There's a lot of decent barbel fishing in the northwest Jim, on either open access clubs waters or day ticket stretches, Well worth a weekend further south. The best fishing I've had has been on the river Ribble near Preston.

I was working on the banks of lake windermere today. Made me think of big pike!