Fishing addicts?

Big J

I'm in Cheshire Matty, water level wise we've been all over the place lately too. We're now getting a lot of otter predation on our rivers and still waters, so far carp to 35+ have fell victim and it's only going to get worse.

I've never fished for salmon, definitely love to have a go when time allows.

When I say boat fishing, I mean pike. It's a water I know well, and I have a fair idea where the pike are in winter, but unless it's fairly still, I won't go out. There is nowhere to hide from the weather in the middle of a loch!

Oh . Understood Big J . Thought you were gonna get out in the North Sea bud !

No, nothing chunky really. Two doubles this winter (10lb exactly and 11lb 7oz) but I've hardly had any days on waters likely to yield larger pike.

I'm contemplating doing a couple of days on the boat next week in the Highlands, but winter boat fishing in Northern Scotland requires grit, determination and some very favourable conditions. Not sure I've all those things in my favour!! That being said, I do really need to pull my finger out any get a 20lber already. I've had well over 300 pike in the past three years, 36 doubles and still no twenty!

John - I seem to have lost the knack with the trout on the pole a bit lately. I think possibly it's a hook issue as they keep jumping off (had some Drennan size 24s that were superb, but run out of them now and not getting on with the Kamasan replacements). Sounds like you're getting some outstanding fishing though. Coarse fishing is a struggle up here, even in summer. Winter is tough.

Wide gap definitely, have you tried a softer elastic?

Love the pike, last decent one I got was on a jerk bait at the end of the summer

f917956e8968a46723e9d416ffa05d61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Wide gap definitely, have you tried a softer elastic?

Love the pike, last decent one I got was on a jerk bait at the end of the summer

f917956e8968a46723e9d416ffa05d61.jpg

Nice pike there - hope that it's not dead though! Pike don't have a great reputation in Ireland sadly.

Only on hollow 9 elastic on the 3.3m top two (almost all my fishing is done on that). Sometimes use about 6m of the 11m pole, but that's only a hollow 6-10 as well. I'm convinced it's the hook. Luckily, I was in the tackle shop that I got the Drennan hooks in before (they'd been closed for refurbishment for a month) and they had them. Also had whisker barbed Kamasan B611, so I'll try those as well. Even got a pack of size 26s, though I suspect that's overkill. It's the wide gap hooks I'm presently struggling with - the Drennans are very small.

I'll be out again next week to test the theory.

Pike returned safe and well, unfortunately there has been a lot of state sponsored culling out here over the years, culture is slowly changing. Good luck next week

Just wasn't sure from the photo! Apologies for asking. Have heard some awful things about the pike culling in Ireland.

Where are you fishing tomorrow for the chub?

Was on the Parrett near Langport, Somerset today, couple of tiddlers. The EA has released a load of water at the flood barrier, dropping the river by about 5ft, coupled with a string down wind made it nigh on impossible to get anything right, well at least that's my excuse

Tough day - the rain isn't helping at the moment.

Probably out tomorrow on the trout fishery. It's very coloured at the moment, which actually might help with the roach. I've set up a 3.5m line (it'll fish at about 8-9ft depth) on a 14 for sweetcorn to try to coax a larger roach out. Unlikely to be successful but you can only try. I've also fined down my other two lines from 0.13 to 0.11 and down from size 20 back to 24 and also with a micro barb again. Bumping off too many fish at the moment which I think is wrecking the swim with spooked fish. I can't go too light on the elastic as I'll get smashed by the trout, so a compromise is the hollow 9 and reasonably strong line (3lb 6oz).

I always think you coarse fishermen should have a sticker on the back of your motors " . Think pike"

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

It's gets into your head, it really does. I see the merit and appeal of all types of fishing, even if it's not for me. I do like to put my fish back though - breaks my heart when I see big rainbows clopped on the head for no reason other than that is what is expected of the angler.