driveway solutions

Dean O

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about second hand concrete railway sleepers over a scalpings sub base ? If you lay the sleepers with a bit of a gap between them and fill the gaps with soil you will soon get some grass growing between them . That should also help with the drainage .

However , In my quick search I have not been able to find a price for second hand sleepers ,so I can't say if they are cost effective or not .

I've seen this done to great effect.

They'd chopped the sleepers in half, then laid them in a herringbone pattern, it looked quite good and they track 7t diggers (on rubber tracks though) over it without issue.

Though the gaps between will get grass growing, they'll do very little for drainage unless you can make a highly permeable sub-base, which is problematic as the sleepers are not a constant size (they taper down a bit in the middle(?))

Thanks guys

funnily enough Id looked at concrete sleepers as an option.

re planning, we'd been advised that as water drainage is managed around the property rather than going to the highway/ public sewers we wont need planning.

area is roughly 12 metres x 10 metres.

luckily excavation material can stay on site, but part of the issue is getting a concrete lorry nearby due to the access,

in my heart I know concrete is the way to go but the cost is prohibitive at the moment.

I think my solution will be to sort drainage and sub-base, then have some 8x4 sheets on hand for use when tracking the machines.

I drive concrete mixers quite a bit.

Several ways you could go about it. You could get an extra strong mix with more cement to finish the surface off.

Definitely ask questions when ordering. Its amazing how many numptys buy a cheap mix even so called professionals.

DONT WET IT UP EXCESSIVELY. Many do to make it easier. There is formulas how much this actually weakens it.

We get hgvs 6or8 wheelers through some tight spots. 9ft wide with mirrors in.

Hiring a simple tow along concrete pump with operator is cheaper than 4 blokes with a barrow and paying £1.50&vat per minute after the included 5 min per cubic mtr.

Concrete is expensive. The cement and aggregate are taxed as quarry products as an extra.

Do it once. Do it right.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Post up a photo of what's there at the minute, maybe it just needs a top up with hardcore or road planings.

If moneys tight keep it as is and chuck down a piece of plywood or rigid plastic to turn the machine on.

If the machines are always turning in the same place ie round a corner then maybe lay a pad of paving slabs here.

Or maybe leave as is and buy a cheap 2nd hand roller/whacker plate to give it a quick smooth over when it gets bad! You'll probably need the roller in the future anyway! :001_smile:

Hadn't thought of buying a wacker - daft as it sounds - would be useful in the future.

the house is located up a long narrow track built traversing a hillside - I don't trust it to stand up to the weight of a concrete lorry, even with half a load.

id thought of a pump but speaking to concrete contractor he said his pump would shift it around 65 metres (the track is around 300 metres long and approx. 1 in 6 grad.)

I can get a lorry to the bottom of the hill then dumper it up tho.

a huge onsite mixer would be the tool - bringing the material up on 3.5 tonners and trailers and mixing and pouring on site.

It really depends on the time-scale. I have two areas where my 7.5 tonne machine goes. One is in a paddock entrance where I have a good hard base & this;Porous Grass Pavers | Plastic Paving Grid | Car Parking | BodPave 40

The other is an on-going project using pavior bricks. Both these solutions require a 'hard edge' to ensure enclosure. If you put down the required under-layer you can't go wrong.

codlasher