Pivot dumper forwarder

andy cobb

The only thing I can see wrong with this is the arc in which the crane will swing. If the load is grabbed there is no provision for the extension to lengthen and shorten when turning.

Bob

It's not ideal but there's enough give in the grab movement to compensate, on rough ground the boom and grapple could fall off the load which is why you see in practice people hold the boom up and crowded in to the cab when in the rack and over the front when travelling loaded.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use nokka falcon? crane 3 point link mounted, that had a float type detent position on the joy sticks, on both the slew and main boom, so you could leave the crane positioned over the trailer when moving, just didn't clamp the grab tight.

I`ve often thought of a dumper based forwarder, but in my mind it involved lengthening the chassis and prop on the bunk half, and a roof mount type set up on the other half, with reversible driving position.

I used to use nokka falcon? crane 3 point link mounted, that had a float type detent position on the joy sticks, on both the slew and main boom, so you could leave the crane positioned over the trailer when moving, just didn't clamp the grab tight.

I`ve often thought of a dumper based forwarder, but in my mind it involved lengthening the chassis and prop on the bunk half, and a roof mount type set up on the other half, with reversible driving position.

that would be the ideal set up but i need to keep the dumper ability as building is my main job. when I get the machine done it might only move 300 ton in the woods each year its main purpose will be feeding the big balfor splitter, which I'm hoping to put together a hire package with dumper, splitter and processor and use as a standard dumper with the advantage of having a grab/ clamshell.

Just get a small trailer with crane, you'll end up losing days and £'s with this and it'll always be neither one thing nor another.

Am currently running a small trailer on back of tractor, unfortunately the crane isn't big enough to handle some of the timber I'm currently working with ( big beech 4' +). I already have the hiab 650 sat in the yard and have considered mounting that on the small trailer, unfortunately a lot of the timber is within established woods that are a pain to navigate with a tractor trailer combo especially if you have to reverse in/ out, so I'm thinking that to mount the hiab at the very rear of the dumper would be relatively simple and inexpensive.

If it proved useless in the woods it would still be a very capable yard machine for loading splitter and stacking bundles of billets.

Btw all opinions positive or negative are much appreciated - Andy

Hi gone through this idea myself a few years ago and sacked it off, reason why is as some has said to you load skip and try it in woods , we did 2-3 runs out loaded and then dragging winch cables and chains about for rest of day complete waist of time,the 2 dumpers as with link to flebay are only about 3 mile from me looked at them thought about them and what I could do with them but forgot about them for now as I kept having flash backs to past experience. We have had several wheeled dumpers hired in from 1-5 tonne pay load and none have really worked,the only 1 that has is a 3 tonne tracked yanmar but only carrying 2.4 MTR firewood took tractor trailer into wood and used crane to load dumper when we was getting towards end of this job I loaded trailer and took out but I only did 4 trips and it was getting harder each time 2 or 3 more trips would of been it tracked dumper about 50 trips and not much mess .

If you do end up doing it speak to Ryetec as the KTS cranes they sell have detents on the hydraulic spools to allow you to tractor mount the crane and let it follow the trailer. I'm sure they would sell the necessary bits.

Luckily they are only 2 miles down the road from me and i do a lot of work for marks brother so. Will definatly nip down and ask for some advice. Been looking for an excuse to go look round new place anyway :thumbup:

Could you make a fixed point to grab when the grab onto moving?

That way the hiab would still need to be able to turn, but if you could grab on right above the pivot point I think you'd be OK with only needing movement in the grab itself?

If you could make that grab rest attached to the rear end you'd need no provision for movement at all.

It could also help to rigidificate the driver protection structure.

See attached CAD design:

(coffee aided drawing) a59c71f2ef77095abb225b06a3080e4b.jpg