Would you class this as good tree surgery

Parrott tree care

Yeah it looks rubbish....

Yeah it's not the best for the tree in the long run

But it's business. I agree that you can advise a customer as best you can about their tree but if they want it reduced to a hat stand, well it's their tree and its business so the job gets done. No you won't drive past it and admire your skilful reduction work but you will soon be on to a customer who does want that.

Some people just don't see or value trees the same way and as professionally as you can be you advise them it won't make any difference. I wouldn't turn the work away though.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the spec was to crown reduce heavlily due to defect management or the customer twisted the contractors arm, still no need to leave so many stub cuts, could have at least taken back to most suitable laterals given the situ. They have't bothered with that so makes you think they don't care or just don't know any better.

So, would I class this as good tree surgery...depends how you measure such.

1. Does it accord with BS3998, i.e. "Best Practice" = NO, the stems have been 'truncated', i.e. internodal cuts, which is detrimental to the tree and has future management implications (see the ISA excellent leaflet below "Why Topping Hurts Trees.")

2. Does it meet the customers requirements / expectations = probably :confused1:

Of course no I don't consider it good tree surgery but, as many have said, you see it too often and I really do wonder IF whomever did understands why its problematic.

Cheers,

Paul

WhyToppingHurts.pdf

So, would I class this as good tree surgery...depends how you measure such.

1. Does it accord with BS3998, i.e. "Best Practice" = NO, the stems have been 'truncated', i.e. internodal cuts, which is detrimental to the tree and has future management implications (see the ISA excellent leaflet below "Why Topping Hurts Trees.")

2. Does it meet the customers requirements / expectations = probably :confused1:

Of course no I don't consider it good tree surgery but, as many have said, you see it too often and I really do wonder IF whomever did understands why its problematic.

Cheers,

Paul

There was a similar pdf on UKTC last year which I meant to print off and laminate, so it's not just my opinion "here's some more information" to the potential customer.

Personally, I blame the AA:001_tongue: LA's and over arb organizations. We've tossed the arguments back and forth for the last thirty years, but if the public aren't educated to topping is bad, we're on a losing battle.

Educate, educate and educate again:biggrin:

But at the end of the day, if we, the contractor, keep on doing it.......

There was a similar pdf on UKTC last year which I meant to print off and laminate, so it's not just my opinion "here's some more information" to the potential customer.

Personally, I blame the AA:001_tongue: LA's and over arb organizations. We've tossed the arguments back and forth for the last thirty years, but if the public aren't educated to topping is bad, we're on a losing battle.

Educate, educate and educate again:biggrin:

But at the end of the day, if we, the contractor, keep on doing it.......

Gary, thas such a good Post i had to 'quote' it :thumbup1:

A hand out that can be given to a customer with 'the gospel according to Mr. Shigo' printed on it would be a useful tool when it comes to discussing spec. with a potential customer. They can either heed those hallowed words or screw the hand out up and throw it in the recycling bin, either way i'm climbing into that canopy.

No.

I've done it though.

Sometimes the client just isn't having a removal or a lighter reduction.

Matty, in that case would you walk away from the job?

Agree with Joe ... Sometimes there is no chance of ever changing the customers mind . The dollars are always better off in your own pocket .

This type of work is far for ideal , But hey if you don't do it they will get someone who will ......and most likely the other contractor will do a terrible job :biggrin: