Annoying Things Guys Do On Site

Haironyourchest

To clarify, I do ground work and climb, just not at the same time!

Things that piss me off on site,

(1) People that say "awesome" who were not born in America,

(2) People who refer to America as "the States",

(3) Being handed a saw with a blunt chain,

(4) Asking a groundie to fill up the saws and tension the chains and I turn around to see him on his phone,

(5) A groundie who is not a climber telling me to "just cut it there",

(6) Climbers who turn into shouting prima donnas in a tree, (not me!)

(7) Momentum of job being destroyed by groundies girlfriend/wife ringing him up for the 17th time that Day asking him what time he'll be finished, :mad1:

(8) Not putting fuel/oil caps back on the saws properly and my good self ending up with a liter of fuel and/or oil all over my leg,

(9) Climbers who insist on not undercutting on limb reduction cuts,

(10) Clock watching, phone addicted, tea guzzling work shy bastards! :thumbdown:

Basically anyone born after 1979 is a ****!!! :lol:

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify, I do ground work and climb, just not at the same time!

Things that piss me off on site,

(1) People that say "awesome" who were not born in America,

(2) People who refer to America as "the States",

(3) Being handed a saw with a blunt chain,

(4) Asking a groundie to fill up the saws and tension the chains and I turn around to see him on his phone,

(5) A groundie who is not a climber telling me to "just cut it there",

(6) Climbers who turn into shouting prima donnas in a tree, (not me!)

(7) Momentum of job being destroyed by groundies girlfriend/wife ringing him up for the 17th time that Day asking him what time he'll be finished, :mad1:

(8) Not putting fuel/oil caps back on the saws properly and my good self ending up with a liter of fuel and/or oil all over my leg,

(9) Climbers who insist on not undercutting on limb reduction cuts,

(10) Clock watching, phone addicted, tea guzzling work shy bastards! :thumbdown:

Basically anyone born after 1979 is a ****!!! :lol:

the last bit just about sums up 99% off them up :laugh1::laugh1:

Broadening the scope of this rant, I mean post! What follows are my issues with prospective and existing customers,

(1) Customer strolling casually down the garden whistling at five in the evening asking " any chance you'd take a bit off my (insert whatever tree/hedge here) For no extra charge of course!,

(2) Fake look of shock on face after price has been given even though you know well that yours is the fourth or fifth quote they've gotten,

(3) Oh! there's no need of a chipper, you can just work around the brash and my husband will tidy up when you've finished!!! :001_rolleyes:

(4) "The tree is just in the wrong place" No it isn't, the house was built in the wrong place. Trees are never wrong.

(5) "I'll stay around to give ye a hand, translates into, "I don't trust you or your lads with my timber and I'm so miserable I'll be out there when you're gone picking up any saw chips that the blower missed!!!

Edited by David Humphries
language

All the things on here I have read I aggree with. I find myself muttering most days.

Unnecessary use of silkys drives me mad and mincing climbers who spend time removing every little bit of Ivey on a dismantle. I think most of its down to the stress of being a boss and running a business. I do have some really good lads but in the past its not been like that.

Agree

I think for me it has to be the chap I sub to and his chainsaw sharpening ability. He'll often wander off and have a go without first finding somewhere to hold it still and it always ends badly.

I used his saw the other day and it was doing the cut around a corner until it won't cut any more trick... So frustrating! The teeth on one side were about 2mm longer than the other and had round tops on the cutters! :thumbdown:

In fairness to him he's got a good answer to the phones thing though. A number of times I've heard him shout "Who's that? The job centre?" at lads. Makes me giggle every time. We get more than enough breaks for that and unless something is important and needs attention I'm of the era that the phone doesn't get touched when I'm working. If it rings I'll either ignore it or say I'll call back if I actually need to speak to someone.

I think for me it has to be the chap I sub to and his chainsaw sharpening ability. He'll often wander off and have a go without first finding somewhere to hold it still and it always ends badly.

I used his saw the other day and it was doing the cut around a corner until it won't cut any more trick... So frustrating! The teeth on one side were about 2mm longer than the other and had round tops on the cutters! :thumbdown:

In fairness to him he's got a good answer to the phones thing though. A number of times I've heard him shout "Who's that? The job centre?" at lads. Makes me giggle every time. We get more than enough breaks for that and unless something is important and needs attention I'm of the era that the phone doesn't get touched when I'm working. If it rings I'll either ignore it or say I'll call back if I actually need to speak to someone.

Yep that's a good one :biggrin:

Been interesting reading this post, bad news for the Groundie.

Some interesting bad work/health n safety practices. If you train your staff to work to your principles things might improve for everyone.

I am now working alone (horray I hear you say) but happy to work with others. I have been down the route of me in a pickup and 2 lads in a tranny tipper, also worked in a team of 5 restoring a listed garden for a couple of years so been exposed to most of the above problems.

Things like food wrappers in the chip and the accursed mobile phone wern't around when I started.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app