Potus ???

TimberCutterDartmoor

Next POTUS?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Next POTUS?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump

This is true but when the conservatives only got 11.3million votes to get 331 seats how does 3.8m votes return 1 seat?!

I did not vote ukip but do find the numbers weird!!

Hence the need for us to move towards proportional representation.

Our system is still better than that of the US. For the winner to be the person that got fewer votes than the loser is nonsense. The Electoral college system means that the candidates spend nearly all their time and money in the swing states and barely visit the safe states. It doesn't strike me as being democratic.

A bit like the abuse of postal votes by some inner city Labour Party supporters in the UK then!

so an aspect worth considering.

Anyway here in NI, we got PR, 'n look where THAT got us!

But, without a doubt, any person wishing to vote, SHOULD be able to produce SOME reasonable form of identification, and I favour a simple photographic national ID card.

Keep it simple.

Hence the need for us to move towards proportional representation.

Our system is still better than that of the US. For the winner to be the person that got fewer votes than the loser is nonsense. The Electoral college system means that the candidates spend nearly all their time and money in the swing states and barely visit the safe states. It doesn't strike me as being democratic.

Sorry Big J, Your ignorance of and about my countries electoral process is only topped by your overall arrogance of most everything else you don't like or care

about. The founding fathers of my country understood the consequences of having a King as a ruler for all. That is pretty much why he was fired over 200 years ago. The electoral college is as fair a means of equal representation there is and has served the needs of the voting population very well. Anyone else that chooses not to vote and still complain or riot need to just leave and never come back to the USA.

easy-lift guy

Sorry Big J, Your ignorance of and about my countries electoral process is only topped by your overall arrogance of most everything else you don't like or care

about. The founding fathers of my country understood the consequences of having a King as a ruler for all. That is pretty much why he was fired over 200 years ago. The electoral college is as fair a means of equal representation there is and has served the needs of the voting population very well. Anyone else that chooses not to vote and still complain or riot need to just leave and never come back to the USA.

easy-lift guy

In the past twenty years, 40% of the Presidents elected have been the candidates that did not win the overall majority of the vote. This is not democratic. There are no other industrialised nations that operate Electoral colleges, and like the imperial system, the US needs to realise it's out of date, confusing, counterproductive and needs to be replaced! :001_tt2:

Do illegal's get a vote?

Are they not below the radar so to speak??

Kevin, some states like Maryland not only do not require any form of ID I am certain that many people vote multiple times in many presinks. My cousin works her local presink and she has wittbessed this on many occasions. Maryland is also controlled by the Jackass party. Business as usual.

easy-lift guy

In the past twenty years, 40% of the Presidents elected have been the candidates that did not win the overall majority of the vote. This is not democratic. There are no other industrialised nations that operate Electoral colleges, and like the imperial system, the US needs to realise it's out of date, confusing, counterproductive and needs to be replaced! :001_tt2:

Nah, the electoral collage works well. The USA is not a country, but a federation of States. Some of those states are small, with massive urban populations, whereas others are large with small populations or mostly rural agricultural types. The needs of the 'minorities' in this case, the people who actually grow the food, harvest the timber, mine the minerals and so on, are vastly different to the needs of the urban coastal populations. If the POTUS was decided by majority every time, the urban centers, which lean Democrat for various reasons, would dictate policy over the heartland in perpetuity. The electoral collage system may not be as relevant now as it was back in the day, but its actually fairer then outright majority. Cities have wide scope for setting their own bylaws, taxes and so on anyway, so the reverse doesn't hold true.

Please understand that quoting stats means nothing to me. The popular vote means nothing with regards to the election of PODUS. You will never understand

how brilliant my countries fore fathers were when it came to electing a national leader and national representation. Quite frankly it's way above your pay grade.

easy-lift guy