Tools worthy of a mention.

aspenarb

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Can you imagine a lass at one of those 1970’s swinging ‘car key’ parties you used to hear about?

If she pulled out the average arb’s key ring she’d think she was going home with a jailer!

I keep a bowl next to the front door and insist incoming visitors put their keys in it. Most of them are young and haven't got a clue.

They soon learn.

• Haha 4

On 29/12/2022 at 17:42, Ian Leach said:

Thought I wrote something lol, half inch drive, max torque is 880nm 4 speeds which are different torque settings.  Brought it for my other half but we use it on our vehicles. Amazing bit of kit.  Charger can fit 12v-18v batteries in so looking at the other kit too.

I was looking at that, they call it a "mid torque", obviously not as powerful at the bigger half inch drive, but more compact for awkward spots?

Is it powerful enough for van wheelnuts and the like?

2 hours ago, scbk said:

I was looking at that, they call it a "mid torque", obviously not as powerful at the bigger half inch drive, but more compact for awkward spots?

Max torque vis 770 ish tightening and 881 undo I think, works on coach and double decker wheels which is 560,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scbk said:

Yes. As mentioned I used to use my 3/4” Makita a lot, since buying the Milwaukee  1/2” mid torque (and the 3/4 variant) I hardly ever reach for the 3/4”

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

These are my 1/2 inch nut guns

The makita is over 6 years old, been well used and abused, apart from having to tighten up the front 4 screws last month it's been as good as gold. Just had a Google and apparently its only got 400nm of undoing power. Its never really felt lacking working on land rovers or little old tractors and is nice and compact for steel work.

Next to it is my m18, which has twice as much torque apparently! Not had a great deal of use as the makita is still going strong and is physically a bit smaller. Seems very well made though, it'll be the replacement -upgrade- when the makita dies.

I also have the m12 half inch angled impact, which works really well but is definitely a luxury! Bought it as a Christmas present to myself 2 years ago.

20230102_170152.jpg

20230102_170043.jpg

20230102_170356.jpg

20230102_170410.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Morning chaps,

Looking for a bench grinder for sharpening chisels and the like, but it'd be handy to be big enough to tickle an axe every now and then as well. There's some cheapo versions available on Screwfix, are those good enough or is it worth forking out for something fancier?

Can anyone recommend a decent bit of kit?

Scraping my teak floor tiles isn't kind to them...

20230129_110831.thumb.jpg.62283467629c7a8bc8aebd7acac410ff.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm just looking at suppliers in Ireland, found one for 70 euro. Is there anything that pushes it above this 8" grinder from Screwfix do you reckon? Reviews seem fine, 400w motor instead of the 210 in the Clarke.

WWW.SCREWFIX.IE

Order online at Screwfix.ie. Powerful, cast aluminium bench grinder with adjustable tool rests and eye shields...