Do you get paid for lunch?

Woodworks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am self employed and charge by the hour and only include hours worked and don't include any breaks when billing. Get the impression from customers they just expect to get billed from arrival to leaving but don't know for sure. Whats the norm?

I charge from when I leave home till I get back home when subbing on a hourly rate. Lunch breaks are paid......... If someone was subbing you out by the hour at £xx a hour they wouldn't knock off your lunch break.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me where I'm going wrong.

As far as I am aware, lunch time mins/hrs(Fr/Sp/I) should be deducted, but not tea-breaks.

At least that is how LGovt. works.

That's how I charge if I'm working for someone. I knock off half hour or however long we stop for, especially since most people round here will provide food. That seems fairest to both sides.

I pay no-one over lunch breaks, neither staff nor sub-contractors.

However, lunch is on the company and most days it is a 4 course sit down restaurant meal with choice of wine, cider or lemonade. Special menu/price for workers around 12euros all in.

It is traditional in France for companies to provide lunch for employees.

Most Brits can't handle it at first and would prefer to have 20min sitting in the cab but they soon come round to the French way of thinking.

Ty

However, lunch is on the company and most days it is a 4 course sit down restaurant meal with choice of wine, cider or lemonade. Special menu/price for workers around 12euros all in.

Most Brits can't handle it at first and would prefer to have 20min sitting in the cab but they soon come round to the French way of thinking.

Ty

I would come around to the French way of thinking in no time :biggrin:

I charge day rate plus 12.50euros for a plat du jour for lunch ( it's standard for the region when working at distance from the office/base) or its a price per job. If I want to knock out a three day job in two but only have ten minutes for lunch then that's my choice and work longer hours then that's my choice.

Many of the other artisans in France take a paid two hour lunch break I just can't do it I'd rather get home quicker or finish the job

Ty

I'm pretty sure I can come round to the French way right now,

Merci beaucoup, mon ami, je voudrais un demi de biere blonde avec une autre :thumbup1:

p.s. lunch, 1/2 an hour, unpaid.

Ty

I've been in France for ten years and I very rarely have over an hour, the other guys can't understand why I get back to the job quicker.

But then again I don't like the cheeseboard or the carafe of wine or the smoking after lunch