Mobile Sawmill- a good business to start?

jh126473

I do It. It's a big investment to earn money but you can earn some. Think you would be lucky to work full time doing it but there is work out there.

I do one or two days a week in season and the odd day off season. But I primarily bought the mill to cut my own wood for framing and barn building etc which is what I do most of the rest of the time.

I think if your talking about purely contract milling it will hake a while to get enough business to cover yourinvestment and running costs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

I operate a contract mobile milling service out here in SW Ireland. Have been for two and a half years. It makes a reasonable income for 1-2 days a week. Poor site conditions and dirty sawlogs are the main headaches plus over helpful clients. Long travels pursuing work and weather are also downsides. Being mobile there's no roof over the working area - it's a miserable job in the rain everything slipping and yourself covered in fine wet dust.

Repeat customers are few and far between. Once you've processed the wood on a job that's it move on to the next. On the upside if you look after your equipment and keep it sharp it's relatively easy going, and you'll always meet some great positive thinking people. I don't buy, sell or store timber . There are others far better suited and experienced in this. You can be a long time trying to find buyers who will always want a different size to what you have, and the stack is worth nothing til it leaves your yard.

95%of my work is softwood construction timber for farm buildings etc but I'll cut whatever the client wants, but will advise if it seems like the wrong choice. I want to be known for good service which includes making sure the product is fit for purpose.

I'm lucky, having no mortgage or overheads to cover and no children to be feeding, so can survive on 8 days a month. It suits me fine. If I needed a consistent income this probably wouldn't be it.

Shaun

Edited by skc101fc

If you are professional and reliable you could do well - we are always asked 'do you know someone in xyz that does mobile saw milling'

By going to the shows making good contacts and providing a good service I'm sure there is plenty of work out there.

I operate a contract mobile milling service out here in SW Ireland. Have been for two and a half years. It makes a reasonable income for 1-2 days a week. Poor site conditions and dirty sawlogs are the main headaches plus over helpful clients. Long travels pursuing work and weather are also downsides. Being mobile there's no roof over the working area - it's a miserable job in the rain everything slipping and yourself covered in fine wet dust.

Repeat customers are few and far between. Once you've processed the wood on a job that's it move on to the next. On the upside if you look after your equipment and keep it sharp it's relatively easy going, and you'll always meet some great positive thinking people. I don't buy, sell or store timber . There are others far better suited and experienced in this. You can be a long time trying to find buyers who will always want a different size to what you have, and the stack is worth nothing til it leaves your yard.

95%of my work is softwood construction timber for farm buildings etc but I'll cut whatever the client wants, but will advise if it seems like the wrong choice. I want to be known for good service which includes making sure the product is fit for purpose.

I'm lucky, having no mortgage or overheads to cover and no children to be feeding, so can survive on 8 days a month. It suits me fine. If I needed a consistent income this probably wouldn't be it.

Shaun

Good honest advice.

It's a big outlay and should be seen as a long term investment, if you're looking to make easy money quickly then this isn't the way.

I invested alot of money in my stump grinder, 30 k in all.. 3 thousand wasted due to mistakes. 24 or so for machine... Very long term planning, I have the income to pay it... I had 5 years in my mind to set it all up... I have time... Make realistic plans and really think about it.. It's up to you if it works or not... My opinion you need to have passion it must be fun... If you have that and the money to hand out then you will win

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Been considering it myself but not sure there is the demand in the SW. Talked to various people about it lately and all have said they did not think enough people would want the service. There are lots of mills around so you have to find the folk who don't know the chap around the corner who has one. Sorry for the negativity but just how I see it. I will add for me the SW is Devon and Cornwall and there maybe demand further afield.

Got to be a pretty small market really, might be fine as a sideline or even bit of a hobby to begin with, I just don't think there is either enough timber in the right situations to be viable against more commercial sawmills(ie non mobile)

Beau I can think of a few Mobile saw millers on Dartmoor alone and I don't think anyone of them exactly consider it their main income....

Negetivity or realism- you choose!