Golden Robinia care help!

gambitrl7

Question

Hi all!

After recently moving into my new place I have been informed that the Golden Robinia in my garden could be problematic.

It's a healthy beautiful looking tree about 25 ft tall but is only about 8 foot from house foundations and only about 6 ft from drainage.

I have been told suckering is possible and the root systems can be a real problem.

My question is, will I have to lose the tree or will some form of maintenance such as topping the tree be appropriate and acceptable? Will topping the tree inhibit root growth and how often will I have to do this? Just after best advice really.

Any info or advice gratefully received!

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Leave it alone it is fine. When suckers start appearing in the toilet, them it is time to do something.

Beautiful tree by the way.

This sort of thing annoys me, and makes my living, being a drains man might influence this.

These things can be sorted after roots have broken into drains, but I'd think it would be better to sort the problem first.

I've got a root cutter that removes roots from drains, it don't come cheaply mind.

I go back to the same blocked drains over, and over, mainly down to trees being in the wrong place.

Tin hat ready.

This sort of thing annoys me, and makes my living, being a drains man might influence this.

These things can be sorted after roots have broken into drains, but I'd think it would be better to sort the problem first.

I've got a root cutter that removes roots from drains, it don't come cheaply mind.

I go back to the same blocked drains over, and over, mainly down to trees being in the wrong place.

Tin hat ready.

Fair point Eggs.

The only sure fire way to remove the risk of drain intrusion is to remove the tree.

Depends what you want to spend your money on really.

Nice tree by the way.

Considered installing root barrier?

I can't image that pruning the tree would have much of an impact on the root system (unless severe), but poor pruning could ruin the tree. I would be cautious about who you use to reduce the height of the tree if thats the path you decide to chose.

Tin hat ready.

Maybe the drains are in the wrong place and inadequately installed?

Sorry eggs, bored today:biggrin:

Maybe the drains are in the wrong place and inadequately installed?

Sorry eggs, bored today:biggrin:

Yeah what he said.

:thumbup1:

I didn't think that tree roots broke into drains? Just exploited already damaged drains (see AATechies earlier response).

I am another advocate for just leave it alone. But if you must "top it" I think 1 man could easily do that within half a day with a hand saw. So £85 doesn't seem too far off the mark.

Yeah what he said.

:thumbup1:

I didn't think that tree roots broke into drains? Just exploited already damaged drains (see AATechies earlier response).

I am another advocate for just leave it alone. But if you must "top it" I think 1 man could easily do that within half a day with a hand saw. So £85 doesn't seem too far off the mark.

No, tree roots do break into drains. There was an experiment carried out in Sweden? a few years ago that proved tree roots break into perfectly sealed drains. It's an urban myth that they only exploit damaged drains.

http://www.ikt.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/16-04-stal-tree-roots-and-sewers.pdf

One of the tree industries best kept secrets.

Edited by eggsarascal

I've read a few papers on this, but never come across that. Was there any conclusion as to how the tree 'knows' there's moisture in there?

It's accepted that roots will grow in the trenches where drains are installed- less compacted soil and moisture from condensation on the pipes exteriors, but I'm still surprised.

Any links?

Edited by Gary Prentice