Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

On 01/08/2017 at 14:48, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

If they meet ALL the qualifying criteria for DPV (and it's the maximum weight question which started the whole discussion) They must also have a second row of seats, rear windows etc, so (loosely) twin cabs are DPV and single cabs not.  But, the twin cabs keep getting heavier and it's almost impossible to get a stock answer as to what the weight is because everyone seems to be using a different metric to measure it. 

Provided the weight criteria are met, the seats, windows, etc are only relevant on 2wd vehicles. If the vehicle has full-time or part-time all-wheel-drive, seats and windows are not a factor.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just revisiting this after a discussion elsewhere. 

Is a 4WD single cab pickup a dual purpose vehicle?  I read the below as yes but then Liz pointed out the catch to be "for the carriage both of passengers and of goods" passengers being the key and a single cab can only carry a passenger. Is that right?

From the DVLA

Dual purpose vehicles

A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

• constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle

or

• permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas
Edited by Woodworks

35 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes if there is just one passenger seat and it weighs less than 2040 unladen

You confident on that?

I have been driving to commercial speed limits for 3 years now and would love to back to regular speeds where I can. Mind you going hastily in an empty single cab is not a great idea anyway.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

You confident on that?

I'm too old to be confident of anything but:

dual-purpose vehicle     

a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg, and which either—
(i)

is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or

Means as long as it could carry either it only has to be carrying one or the other or both.

As it says either  the last bit about seats and load area is irrelevant once you have 4wd.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

I have been driving to commercial speed limits for 3 years now and would love to back to regular speeds where I can. Mind you going hastily in an empty single cab is not a great idea anyway.

Think of the fuel and wear and tear you have saved.

On 01/08/2017 at 15:48, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

If they meet ALL the qualifying criteria for DPV (and it's the maximum weight question which started the whole discussion) They must also have a second row of seats, rear windows etc, so (loosely) twin cabs are DPV and single cabs not.  But, the twin cabs keep getting heavier and it's almost impossible to get a stock answer as to what the weight is because everyone seems to be using a different metric to measure it. 

Not quite right.

Weight is irrelevant, all rangeovers would be classed as vans if weight was the issue.

Don't have to have second row seats.

Don't have to have rear windows (disco commercial has them but are blanked)

Car derived vans keep car speed limits. Landrover disco commercials therefore keep car speeds. 

Other make pickups are not cars as they have no car option.

It all  boils down to a window tax really as far as disco commercials are concerned. They take a normal vehicle remove the rear seats, blank the rear windows and ta da its a van for tax. You can put seats back in but as long as the windows are blanked you are good.

Pretty perverse really, making the vehicle more unsafe by restricting vision in order to carry goods is the only way the tax man will wear it.

38 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Only if under 2000kg.

A similar car over 2000kg is not affected

I never got a definitive answer from Toyota, or from the many and varied contributions here....

I just rely upon the Tory scum decimation of public services to reduce the number of traffic police to a point where it's unlikely, on balance, that I'd get a ticket on the rare occasions I put my boot down.

Obviously, the theory falls over when speed cameras are brought into the equation but they seem to be dominant on A & M roads which I rarely use :lol:

Headache returns......