Fitness Standards For Industries

jomoco

You haven't got news for us Brits, you're talking ****. Firstly it was fitness, now it's First Aid, make ya mind up.:001_rolleyes:

Eggs, that's the "American way" mate, take a lesson, if the conversation isn't going the way you like, just change the subject a bit and hope no one notices.

You will never "make the cut" with the jacamo special ranger force if you cant master that

:laugh1:

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn that auto correct :001_rolleyes::laugh1:

At first, with early morning bleary eyes, I thought you'd typed "Jacopo"

(The Count of Monte Christo by Alexander Dumas - Character Analysis - Simple, naïve, oblivious: call him what you will, but Jacopo is a true friend to Edmond. He saves him from the roiling surf, tends to him when he's wounded in a fight; in short, he's always got his back. Sure, he can be a little bit of a pest – he won't leave Edmond alone when he wants to start treasure-hunting on Monte Cristo – but can you really blame a guy for wanting to help?)

An exceptional story (a master-class) of true, determined revenge in my opinion.

Then, on re-reading, I see its Jacamo! 😆

Useful link on injury stats you posted earlier Jomoco!

Back to the original topic. I'm about a stone and a half overweight at 14.6st

and at 51 no spring chicken. I manage most things in treework ok.

I'm certainly not what you would call a super fit athlete.

When it comes to first aid, some of the skanky areas in Birmingham that we work in, a tetanus jab and a stab vest would be the order of the day 🙂

Accurate fitness per job probably is optimistically five percent. I've a round gut, always have had. Never been to the gym in my life. I'm in my 40s. I've whupped many on my way, that have been keen footballers, military, gym boys etc. Mostly I'm talking about being a commercial hardy stock nurseryman. Which I remember the cries and taunts of fellow school peers, "your going to be a gardener!, how gay! Girly work " etc.

The reality is many of them couldn't cope with the weather for starters.

Not trying to make the nursery game more exclusive or anything but from what I've seen less than one in 25 hack it for long.

A chainsaw and heights aren't in the equation, so it could be less is the pro tree game.

There is a lot of wannabes and softies try. The mentality isn't there to start with along with the willingness to put effort in.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Accurate fitness per job probably is optimistically five percent. I've a round gut, always have had. Never been to the gym in my life. I'm in my 40s. I've whupped many on my way, that have been keen footballers, military, gym boys etc. Mostly I'm talking about being a commercial hardy stock nurseryman. Which I remember the cries and taunts of fellow school peers, "your going to be a gardener!, how gay! Girly work " etc.

The reality is many of them couldn't cope with the weather for starters.

Not trying to make the nursery game more exclusive or anything but from what I've seen less than one in 25 hack it for long.

A chainsaw and heights aren't in the equation, so it could be less is the pro tree game.

There is a lot of wannabes and softies try. The mentality isn't there to start with along with the willingness to put effort in.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Professional gardening IS hard work! My dad is a keen gardener and I learnt at an early age to disappear when there was bastard trenching and heavy weeding to be done. Different fitness for different jobs, I can fell trees and hump wood about all day every day in the woods week after week but more than a week of continuos climbing work and I start to feel proper fooked. Had a very fit friend (squash, marathons weights etc) come n help us for a couple of days just dragging brash and burning up, he was done in by 3 and couldn't believe we did it all day every day (we were takin it easy as well!).

Why so harsh on the American? He's only talking about being prepared not bragging about being a hero. The US is a place with a vast area of remote places and you need to be prepared

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Why so harsh on the American? He's only talking about being prepared not bragging about being a hero. The US is a place with a vast area of remote places and you need to be prepared

Not exactly, the start of the thread was

I think only about ten percent of the gen pop's fit enough physically, and less than five percent fit enough mentally and physically.

Well I am sure that he is correct about that part of the world where he lives but I for one don't care

It moved on to preparedness, some degree of preparedness is never out of place but a stretcher in every work truck is as looney as it gets for UK and the emergency services would prefer you didn't make their job harder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primum_non_nocere

Primum non nocere means first do no harm, its the guiding principal of medical ethics and unless the casualty is in imminent danger (think, in a burning building) wading in with a stretcher is a recipe for disaster.

As you quite rightly point out, in the wilds of Wyoming you can be a long way from help but as was pointed put to jacamo, we are more likely to be in the wilds of Watford.