sub contractor day rate

rossmalone19

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick epilogue to this, I've just seen the whole thread for the first time.

I sub for Jimmyjnr sometimes, maybe a day or two a week. Recently I was working with Ross for him quite a bit.

Jimmyjnr is firm but fair, he gets a great deal of satisfaction out of providing a lot of work for the guys. Sometimes he estimates wrong, you can be home by 2 or working late. Swings and roundabouts. As I think he sees it he doesn't dock wages for short days and doesn't want to have to pay overtime for occasional unexpected long days. He is very loyal to his guys, and I think he appreciates a bit of loyalty back, a bit of come-and-go. All this arithmetic about hourly rates is all very well, but many days Ross and I were on site at 8.30 and off site at 3. When I was contracting, that was a half day. And wouldn't I like to be able to get paid for commuting? Meanwhile in the real world...

As for Ross, he's a good guy, enthusiastic and energetic, hard working and keen to learn more about trees and the industry. I'd gladly give him work. Recently he climbed for me when I had 3 cracked ribs, and I really appreciated it, I was in a lot of pain. He gets on with it. But he has young family and has to provide, and I didn't know he was commuting as far as he was. It's natural to explore the market a bit. Maybe not quite so publicly though...

The wisest words on here have been from whoever said there are always 2 sides to a story. I respect Jimmyjnr and Ross both, for different reasons, having been a contractor and a subbie, I see both sides. I'm sure they'll both go far and I hope they do.

A quick epilogue to this, I've just seen the whole thread for the first time.

I sub for Jimmyjnr sometimes, maybe a day or two a week. Recently I was working with Ross for him quite a bit.

Jimmyjnr is firm but fair, he gets a great deal of satisfaction out of providing a lot of work for the guys. Sometimes he estimates wrong, you can be home by 2 or working late. Swings and roundabouts. As I think he sees it he doesn't dock wages for short days and doesn't want to have to pay overtime for occasional unexpected long days. He is very loyal to his guys, and I think he appreciates a bit of loyalty back, a bit of come-and-go. All this arithmetic about hourly rates is all very well, but many days Ross and I were on site at 8.30 and off site at 3. When I was contracting, that was a half day. And wouldn't I like to be able to get paid for commuting? Meanwhile in the real world...

As for Ross, he's a good guy, enthusiastic and energetic, hard working and keen to learn more about trees and the industry. I'd gladly give him work. Recently he climbed for me when I had 3 cracked ribs, and I really appreciated it, I was in a lot of pain. He gets on with it. But he has young family and has to provide, and I didn't know he was commuting as far as he was. It's natural to explore the market a bit. Maybe not quite so publicly though...

The wisest words on here have been from whoever said there are always 2 sides to a story. I respect Jimmyjnr and Ross both, for different reasons, having been a contractor and a subbie, I see both sides. I'm sure they'll both go far and I hope they do.

Meanwhile in the real world!? If someone was to ring you and ask you to do a job, let's say a hour and half from home you would do it at the same rate you would if it's ten minutes up the road? Get in the real world. We are in business to make money for ourselves, not line other folks pockets.

What you have told us is totally different to what Ross told us, and Jimmy didn't do a very good job at putting the record straight, did he?

Surely although he may not have been on site until 8.30 and left at 3 some days his working day doesn't start and end then?

Where do you draw the line on "a day" ? If a job is knocked out quickly and guys finish early they have been booked for a day and are entitled to be paid for it,the job will have been priced by how many days it will take, but I don't see how you can offset that against jobs that run over because of bad estimation, that is not the fault of the guys on the ground .

By his own admission here we have someone that has built a successful company, I always think it is worth sharing some of that with those that are helping to achieve that,.its usually a good investment.

Surely although he may not have been on site until 8.30 and left at 3 some days his working day doesn't start and end then?

Where do you draw the line on "a day" ? If a job is knocked out quickly and guys finish early they have been booked for a day and are entitled to be paid for it,the job will have been priced by how many days it will take, but I don't see how you can offset that against jobs that run over because of bad estimation, that is not the fault of the guys on the ground .

By his own admission here we have someone that has built a successful company, I always think it is worth sharing some of that with those that are helping to achieve that,.its usually a good investment.

yes, but you are forgetting about greed. I only sub to companies that pay a fair days money these days, and that's on a hourly rate, minimum of four hours,

although that doesn't happen very often, probably because they are well run companies that can organise their workload. I got sick of being mugged off by tw@ts a few years ago.