sub contractor day rate

rossmalone19

So Ross is employed as a groundman? it doesn't matter what he's qualified for he gets paid the rate for the job he does. Climbing to gain experience? again if that's his choice he can decide to climb or not given the rate of pay as he isn't employed as a climber.

Working hours? commuting time is irrelevant, it's time at or available for work that counts so say 7.00am the clock starts. Personally I feel that the clock stops when he's back in the yard so if that's 6.00pm then that's 11 hours work and should result in an increase in the daily rate, (just my view and possibly incorrect)

It appears he can and does work elsewhere but has the option of 5 days work with the guy he's talking about if he wants it. To me it looks like he has the option of a virtually guaranteed £80 per day when he isn't needed elsewhere so that's a nice safety net, no need to source work, no need to deal with non-paying customers etc etc. and a potential £400 per 5 day week.

Is the guy he subs for willing to take him on as a full time employee at the same daily rate? would he take full time employment at that rate, £80/day.

In the end I suspect we're only getting the information that both parties want to reveal, whether that's the whole story is another matter.

As for what is a fair daily rate, the reality, like it or not is that local average wage will dictate what you can actually earn rather than what the industry believes you should earn.

Commuting time shouldn't be irrelivent should it?, when I'm subbing the clock starts ticking when I get in my van, it stops when I get out, don't like it, don't call me.

If someone runs a company they price travel into the job, why shouldn't a subbie do the same?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commuting time shouldn't be irrelivent should it?

As far as the employer is concerned? Yes, not his fault if you want a days work but live 50 miles away.

when I'm subbing the clock starts ticking when I get in my van, it stops when I get out, don't like it, don't call me.

Couldn't agree more, of course if the guy doing the hiring doesn't like it, won't pay for commuting time but you accept his stance and go work for him anyway??

Not enough. Full stop. Granted I've had a moan about my wages at 85 a day, but I'm not working till that time. Give the lad 90 quid a day, let's be honest that's a couple hours work for a two man team. If he's over 25, 80 a day that's just scraping minimum wage, which is fine thats If all kit us supplied and maintained on behalf of company

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Arbtalk mobile app

If he's over 25, 80 a day that's just scraping minimum wage, which is fine thats If all kit us supplied and maintained on behalf of company

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Arbtalk mobile app

Afraid he's not scraping minimum wage.

Age 25 or over the National Living Wage applies at £7.20/hr,

For an 8 hour day that's

£57.60 or £288.00 per 40 hour week

Age 21-24 National Minimum Wage applies at £6.70/hr,

For an 8 hour day that's

£53.60 or £268 per 40 hour week

Age 18-20 National Minimum Wage applies at £5.30/hr

For an 8 hours day that's

£42.40 or £212 per 40 hour week

If he's getting £80/day that's £10/hour or £400/week based on an 8 hour day/40 hour week. (yeah I know that sometimes he's working way more than 8 hours and yeah he should be paid for it but...)

So effectively he's getting;

£112 per 40 hour week above the NLW for a 25+ year old or

£188 per 40 hour week above the NMW for an 18-20 year old.

Almost double the NMW for someone aged between 18-20.

That's the reality, do I personally think Treeworkers in general are paid enough? no, definitely not, the physical side alone makes it a joke that you can earn the same stacking shelves or standing behind the till in poundland or whatever and if you're self employed there's the additional cost of equipment/training/insurance etc.

But, and here's the rub, if it's so bad why aren't we all selling off our kit and seeking work in poundland etc?

In this case you take your money and make your choice. I agree that giving him £90 wouldn't break the bank and it's a fair rate.

Afraid he's not scraping minimum wage.

Age 25 or over the National Living Wage applies at £7.20/hr,

For an 8 hour day that's

£57.60 or £288.00 per 40 hour week

Age 21-24 National Minimum Wage applies at £6.70/hr,

For an 8 hour day that's

£53.60 or £268 per 40 hour week

Age 18-20 National Minimum Wage applies at £5.30/hr

For an 8 hours day that's

£42.40 or £212 per 40 hour week

If he's getting £80/day that's £10/hour or £400/week based on an 8 hour day/40 hour week. (yeah I know that sometimes he's working way more than 8 hours and yeah he should be paid for it but...)

So effectively he's getting;

£112 per 40 hour week above the NLW for a 25+ year old or

£188 per 40 hour week above the NMW for an 18-20 year old.

Almost double the NMW for someone aged between 18-20.

That's the reality, do I personally think Treeworkers in general are paid enough? no, definitely not, the physical side alone makes it a joke that you can earn the same stacking shelves or standing behind the till in poundland or whatever and if you're self employed there's the additional cost of equipment/training/insurance etc.

But, and here's the rub, if it's so bad why aren't we all selling off our kit and seeking work in poundland etc?

In this case you take your money and make your choice. I agree that giving him £90 wouldn't break the bank and it's a fair rate.

Your argument on this one is rubbish R Mac.

'If' Ross is working those long days he is just scrapping the minimum wage, again age dependant.

Why aren't you all selling off your kit?...... Maybe because you can get mugs, that's harsh, young lads to work for peanuts Whilst charging the going rate for the job?

Your argument on this one is rubbish R Mac.

I accept I don't know all the details but the figures I quoted are the reality, if you're earning almost double the NMW (age dependant) then you aren't scraping minimum wage.

Fact.

'If' Ross is working those long days he is just scrapping the minimum wage, again age dependant.

Why aren't you all selling off your kit?...... Maybe because you can get mugs, that's harsh, young lads to work for peanuts Whilst charging the going rate for the job?

So when you're purchasing something you always buy at the highest price?

Edited by R Mac

I accept I don't know all the details but the figures I quoted are the reality, if you're earning almost double the NMW (age dependant) then you aren't scraping minimum wage.

Fact.

So when you're purchasing something you always buy at the highest price?

No of course I don't pay the highest price. What I do is look after them who look after me. Perhaps I've got it wrong again.

No of course I don't pay the highest price. What I do is look after them who look after me. Perhaps I've got it wrong again.

No you're right and your attitude is admirable but can you explain how my argument is rubbish?

All this talk of barely making minimum wage when he's potentially earning almost double the minimum wage for an 18-20 year old is rubbish, £400 for a 40 hour week against £212 for a 40 hour week. Ok he has CS 30,31, 38 & 39 but he's only being taken on as a groundman. How much is the other guy he subs for paying? if it's more why is he subbing for less with this Jimmy guy?

You suggest the pay is 'low' as young guys/mugs will work for that kind of money? well £400 quid/week beats £200 (or £300 if you're 25+ years old) by my calculation.

No you're right and your attitude is admirable but can you explain how my argument is rubbish?

All this talk of barely making minimum wage when he's potentially earning almost double the minimum wage for an 18-20 year old is rubbish, £400 for a 40 hour week against £212 for a 40 hour week. Ok he has CS 30,31, 38 & 39 but he's only being taken on as a groundman. How much is the other guy he subs for paying? if it's more why is he subbing for less with this Jimmy guy?

You suggest the pay is 'low' as young guys/mugs will work for that kind of money? well £400 quid/week beats £200 (or £300 if you're 25+ years old) by my calculation.

I'll try my best. If he's working 11 hour days he's just over the minimum wage, age dependent. Buying his own gear and running it probably puts him under the minimum wage, does it not?

If he's skint £80/day is better than now't, it's not ideal though, is it ?

Some people want it all their own way. Wouldn't wash around here I'm afraid.