Rounded Torx chipper bolts !!

treediver

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those bolts are terrible,

I hate changing them and they can always take a in determinant amount of time and cut and bruised fingers.

I did a speed change on out 190 this morning 10 mins and was breeze.

Thats why our 150 now gathers dust

went to change the anvils on my entec and found that somebody had already tried it before me. All but one was rounded out. the two small ones i heated up till they where really warm then smacked a spline bit in to the rounded hex head and they came out so easy. With the larger one we had to weld a nut on the top. Obviously it heated the existing bolt and i think that helped as i put a spanner on the nut and it came out a treat. all new bolts going back in.

i clean all the crap out of the heads of the bolts on my tw using a dentists tooth scraper thing £1 from a carboot. it works really well.

This in my experience on the TW is key, that and a decent quality torx bit. The other thing is to make sure the flywheel is locked up so you can concentrate on keeping the torx bit square and located on the bolt while undoing them. In the event of having to deal with a mashed up head ( normally when the doughnuts have had a go at changing them ) I have found a decent quality cold chisel will have them chopped round and undone in seconds. It also helps to gag the bolt in copper slip prior to fitting.

Bob

edit. I need to learn to type faster. :)