Rounded Torx chipper bolts !!

treediver

If your confident enough with a drill you can drill down the centre of the bolt (drill bit smaller than the inside diam. of the thread:rolleyes:), soak it in WD etc and it will come out a lot easier. At least you will have a hole to stick an extractor into if that still fails:D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a case of clean the socket out as much as possible before trying to undo them, replace if damaged, and coat the threads with copper grease before refitting. The sockets get damaged if the tool slips out when you're putting torque on, and it's downhill from there. I bought an air impact wrench, and find there's a lot less chance of slipping.

Spot on! in 7 years of owning a Timberwolf I've been close but never rounded the silly little bolts, you must follow Quickthorns advice on these silly bolts.

I personally use a socket spanner and long extension to do up and undo the bolts

• 3 weeks later...
If your confident enough with a drill you can drill down the centre of the bolt (drill bit smaller than the inside diam. of the thread:rolleyes:), soak it in WD etc and it will come out a lot easier. At least you will have a hole to stick an extractor into if that still fails:D

Sorry to dredge up this thread.

WD is merely a lubricant. What is needed is a penetrant. I usually use a product called PB Blaster.

PB-Blaster.jpg

I definitely second the usage of an Air impact on the little buggers. I've got a large amount of old rusted ones on my truck, that with the PB Blaster and good couple of short bursts with an impact wrench, it will break fasteners loose.

• 3 weeks later...

Air Impact rench on the way out, cooper slip and and tork rench when they go back in.. if in dought chuk it out. New bolts are cheep when you add up the stress and down time... Like the dental pic idear been useing end of a file or tuning screw driver... Aspen bio degreser work great on all heads before you start picking them out saves time.

WD is merely a lubricant. What is needed is a penetrant. I usually use a product called PB Blaster.

PB-Blaster.jpg

I stopped using WD40 when I discovered that they put a shorter straw into the can.

I discovered this when I kept running out of pressure in the can but still had lots of liquid sloshing around in it.

you can get replacement bolts that are 7mm allen ket bolts, combined with copper slip and a brake caliper tool(large 7mm allen with nice handel) you will never have any problems, just do the bolt up as tight as poss with the allen key and jobs a good un, torqueing them up to sill torgues just pushes the copper slip out and you do what we have all dun on the dreaded tw and rounded them off!!!!!

i got changing the blades on a 6'' tw down to about 10 mins all done!!!!!!!

you can get replacement bolts that are 7mm allen ket bolts, combined with copper slip and a brake caliper tool(large 7mm allen with nice handel) you will never have any problems, just do the bolt up as tight as poss with the allen key and jobs a good un, torqueing them up to sill torgues just pushes the copper slip out and you do what we have all dun on the dreaded tw and rounded them off!!!!!

i got changing the blades on a 6'' tw down to about 10 mins all done!!!!!!!

do they not protrude from the blade i tried to source some but the head protruded ever so slightly which worried me so went back to originals

• 1 month later...