Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

Would Sam Harris be comfortable working in partnership with a Christian (for example) organisation if it really helped people, I wonder?

If the organisation were helping for helping's sake I'm sure he would have no problem at all. If there was any indication that there were attempts to 'inject the truth of the gospels' I imagine he would not be happy.

Religious doctrine comes with a lot of ridiculous and dangerous baggage. You don't need God to be good. Human morality comes from the human brain, shaped by society. You yourself have used your human brain to decide what to adhere to in the Bible and what to discount. You have decided what is moral, not God.

15 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Here’s a really interesting book on why a lot of ‘charity aid’ is ineffective.
Warning.... it is Christian in its ethos but it does confront some uncomfortable truths.

I don't think we are in disagreement that some types of aid relief are counter productive. My argument is simply that there are objectively good ways to help people in need. We shouldn't stop all aid because some of it isn't helping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, breffni said:

Maybe read prisoners of geography matelot. You might learn something.

s-l400.jpg

Tbh, I can't really be bothered reading a book that is likely to give politically correct reasons why Africa is a mess..... I bet the books says it's not the Africans fault that Africa is a mess? 

Lets face it, the reasons that the BBC give for Africa being a mess are:

1. Slavery 200 years ago.

2. White people.

3. White people selling guns to Africa.

None of these reasons really explain why the likes of Rhodesia went from bread basket to basket case.... The real reasons Africa is a mess are:

1. Massive overpopulation.

2. Corrupt leadership.

3. Tribalism.

4. A badly educated population that lacks motivation.

5. Lack of birth control.

6. Cultural.

5 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

If the organisation were helping for helping's sake I'm sure he would have no problem at all. If there was any indication that there were attempts to 'inject the truth of the gospels' I imagine he would not be happy.

Religious doctrine comes with a lot of ridiculous and dangerous baggage. You don't need God to be good. Human morality comes from the human brain, shaped by society. You yourself have used your human brain to decide what to adhere to in the Bible and what to discount. You have decided what is moral, not God.

I don't think we are in disagreement that some types of aid relief are counter productive. My argument is simply that there are objectively good ways to help people in need. We shouldn't stop all aid because some of it isn't helping.

A lot of this post implies he has made choices and is in control of what to adhere too and what to discount? I thought we had solved this on the free will thread?! Surely we cant blame the charities and the people managing them as they aren’t really culpable, so to speak. :D

• Like 1

You 

11 minutes ago, matelot said:

Tbh, I can't really be bothered reading a book that is likely to give politically correct reasons why Africa is a mess..... I bet the books says it's not the Africans fault that Africa is a mess? 

Lets face it, the reasons that the BBC give for Africa being a mess are:

1. Slavery 200 years ago.

2. White people.

3. White people selling guns to Africa.

None of these reasons really explain why the likes of Rhodesia went from bread basket to basket case.... The real reasons Africa is a mess are:

1. Massive overpopulation.

2. Corrupt leadership.

3. Tribalism.

4. A badly educated population that lacks motivation.

5. Lack of birth control.

6. Cultural.

Where have i mentioned the bbc?? You idiot. So a book you never read is filled with politically correct reason? How would you know? Maybe you should move out of your mams house and get a girlfriend? 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, breffni said:

You 

Where have i mentioned the bbc?? You idiot. So a book you never read is filled with politically correct reason? How would you know? Maybe you should move out of your mams house and get a girlfriend? 

OK, what reasons did the book give for Africa being do undeveloped? I'd suggest if the book doesn't mention massive overpopulation the book is a waste of time.

21 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I'll try once more @matelot. What's the obsession with the BBC?

It's a poor news source. So why watch or listen to it?

Because I'm forced to give money to a politically biased news organisation? I quite like Donald Trump and I voted for Brexit. However the BBC constantly sneers at people like me....

I'd have no problem giving money to the BBC if they stuck to costume dramas and Dr Who. However they provide news as well :(

• Like 1

Because I'm forced to give money to a politically biased news organisation? I quite like Donald Trump and I voted for Brexit. However the BBC constantly sneers at people like me....

I'd have no problem giving money to the BBC if they stuck to costume dramas and Dr Who. However they provide news as well [emoji20]

Don’t read/watch the news if you don’t like it.
The bbc does do some good tv now and then (not a huge fan of tv) and I’d rather pay the £120(? I’ve no clue how much it is as the boss deals with it!) than have to watch crappy adverts! If I watch anything on other channels I pre record and fast forward the ads!

My wife, still speaks highly of the Salvation Army, from memories of her Glasgow childhood, when some of the neighbours/distant relations  used to take her to some of their events.

Essentially, by the people for the people, organised from within the communities that needed the help, by those that could.

And "hands on".

This may have changed in the 40 years since.

In respect of the current fad for food banks, far better to organise a soup-kitchen, using church halls, or bingo halls, and actually feed the people, and give them a chance to speak.

Hey it might even help to encourage some of them to learn to cook, the lack of this skill directly contributing to so-called food poverty.

• Like 2