Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/05/migration-target-useless-experts

Here you are matelot, eu migrants worth £25bn to U.K. Economy. You will undoubtedly trash it.

Yes I will trash it because the report is trash....

The report claims EEA migrants have contributed £25 billion more in tax than they paid in over 13 years. If we take that at face value what does it actually mean to the average Brit?

It means EEA migrants have contributed a net £2 billion a year to the taxpayer. There are 60 million brits in the UK. That means each Brit gets another £30 a year from the contribution EEA migrants make... That's about 60 pence a week... So the marvellous contribution EEA migrants make to the average Brit is the price of a Mars bar each week...

However the report doesn't include some of the costs that the EEA migrants will cost us. It doesn't include the cost of reduced wages of Brits, it doesn't include the Brits that lose their jobs to migrants, it doesn't include the cost of congestion, it doesn't include the cost of additional prison places, it doesn't include the umpteen other costs that an enlarged population costs the taxpayer.

That report also said that non EU migration had cost the taxpayer £90 billion in the same period. Why did you fail to mention that?

Yes I will trash it because the report is trash....

The report claims EEA migrants have contributed £25 billion more in tax than they paid in over 13 years. If we take that at face value what does it actually mean to the average Brit?

It means EEA migrants have contributed a net £2 billion a year to the taxpayer. There are 60 million brits in the UK. That means each Brit gets another £30 a year from the contribution EEA migrants make... That's about 60 pence a week... So the marvellous contribution EEA migrants make to the average Brit is the price of a Mars bar each week...

However the report doesn't include some of the costs that the EEA migrants will cost us. It doesn't include the cost of reduced wages of Brits, it doesn't include the Brits that lose their jobs to migrants, it doesn't include the cost of congestion, it doesn't include the cost of additional prison places, it doesn't include the umpteen other costs that an enlarged population costs the taxpayer.

That report also said that non EU migration had cost the taxpayer £90 billion in the same period. Why did you fail to mention that?

I'd rather believe what I read in the guardian and BBC than anything you write. Sorry but that's the way it is. We will all find out over the next few years.

I would be interested to know what you think the economy will be like in say 3 years time. How do you think the average Brit will be? Better off, worse off or much the same? Put your money where your mouth is and make a few predictions.

I'd rather believe what I read in the guardian and BBC than anything you write. Sorry but that's the way it is. We will all find out over the next few years.

I would be interested to know what you think the economy will be like in say 3 years time. How do you think the average Brit will be? Better off, worse off or much the same? Put your money where your mouth is and make a few predictions.

BBC (!!!) and The Guardian were denied entry to Trump's press "gaggle" the other day. Apparently they loitered in the hallway with the tabloids, the Sun, Mirror etc. until secret service moved them away. :laugh1:

Fake news :lol:

Well, the pro eu Guardian anyway. Anyone backing up a theory / opinion etc here with newspaper (or MSM) articles / stats obviously has yet to realise that none of the papers are neutral and unbiased.

The figure might even be more than £25bn. Point is, it's ALL bs.

Totally agree that no newspaper is neutral/unbiased. I'd say that some newspapers are less trustworthy (Daily Hate Mail) than others tho! But that article is based on a pretty credible looking source. The academic study is all there available to read online.

http://www.cream-migration.org/files/FiscalEJ.pdf

"THE FISCAL EFFECTS OF IMMIGRATION TO THE UK*

Christian Dustmann and Tommaso Frattini

We investigate the fiscal impact of immigration on the UK economy, with a focus on the period since 1995. Our findings indicate that, when considering the resident immigrant population in each year from 1995 to 2011, immigrants from the European Economic Area (EEA) have made a positive fiscal contribution, even during periods when the UK was running budget deficits, while Non-EEA immigrants, not dissimilar to natives, have made a negative contribution. For immigrants that arrived since 2000, contributions have been positive throughout, and particularly so for immigrants from EEA countries. Notable is the strong positive contribution made by immigrants from countries that joined the EU in 2004."

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1114/051114-economic-impact-EU-immigration

I'd rather believe what I read in the guardian and BBC than anything you write. Sorry but that's the way it is.

But the article in the Guardian says EEA migrants make a tiny net contribution to the taxpayer? Is that the point you're making?

The article says that EEA migrants make a net contribution of £2 billion a year. We spend about £120 billion a year on the NHS and £240 billion on welfare benefits. Surely in the context of running the NHS and welfare state £2 billion a year is nothing?

Then of course the research does not include the cost of brits losing their jobs to migrants...

So this idea that we need migrants to pay our pensions is at best misleading...

http://www.cream-migration.org/files/FiscalEJ.pdf

"THE FISCAL EFFECTS OF IMMIGRATION TO THE UK*

Christian Dustmann and Tommaso Frattini

while Non-EEA immigrants, not dissimilar to natives, have made a negative contribution.

Dustmann and Frattini are the same chancers that forecasted 13,000 East europeans would migrate to the UK each year....

The paper you refer to has been widely discredited...