Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

For the first time, more than half of households - 36 million people - get more from the Government...

Without getting into a blame game type scenario surely the above is not sustainable long term. More pertinent is, what’s the solution or alternative??. 

Ban Mark J from his accountant? :D 

6 hours ago, Johnsond said:
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

For the first time, more than half of households - 36 million people - get more from the Government...

Without getting into a blame game type scenario surely the above is not sustainable long term. More pertinent is, what’s the solution or alternative??. I’m pretty sure the current path is not the correct one that’s for sure. 

B40D3EF4-DEB7-43C0-AB9C-EC16BE2DF540.png

I don’t know the answer, but I see it around here, skilled people working for little money building JCB’s whilst the boss gets flown over my yard twice a day in his helicopter. No one wants to spread the wealth!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I don’t know the answer, but I see it around here, skilled people working for little money building JCB’s whilst the boss gets flown over my yard twice a day in his helicopter. No one wants to spread the wealth!

If they're so skilled perhaps they should start their own business from the ground up and instead of flying around in a Chopper dole it all out to the workers who did not dare take the effort and risk themselves. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

If they're so skilled perhaps they should start their own business from the ground up and instead of flying around in a Chopper dole it all out to the workers who did not dare take the effort and risk themselves. 

Tell us tax payers how it’s going to work then, if people aren’t paid enough they will get benefits which we will pay. As Dave said, it’s not sustainable.

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Tell us tax payers how it’s going to work then, if people aren’t paid enough they will get benefits which we will pay. As Dave said, it’s not sustainable.

If they are as skilled as you imply they will be paid enough. If they are not then they can apply to a company paying more in line with what their supposed skillset demands. Or do you mean they are easily replaceable minimum wage drones with no paperwork to back up their supposed skills? 

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

If they are as skilled as you imply they will be paid enough. If they are not then they can apply to a company paying more in line with what their supposed skillset demands. Or do you mean they are easily replaceable minimum wage drones with no paperwork to back up their supposed skills? 

I can only speak of the people I talk to, hydraulic engineer on £40k/year. Ok, they get the perks of being employed, but it’s no great shakes when working shifts. They could move on but where to? We all aren’t nomads.

Just now, eggsarascal said:

I can only speak of the people I talk to, hydraulic engineer on £40k/year. Ok, they get the perks of being employed, but it’s no great shakes when working shifts. They could move on but where to? We all aren’t nomads.

So they are earning a relatively good wage then? They will be income tax contributors, not a drain. I really dont see what your point is here? If they are not happy with that wage they can negotiate a wage rise or leave. Same as its ever been. 

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

So they are earning a relatively good wage then? They will be income tax contributors, not a drain. I really dont see what your point is here? If they are not happy with that wage they can negotiate a wage rise or leave. Same as its ever been. 

The point is, on £40k into a family home you can still get benefits, does that not say the pay is not enough. Surely if you earn enough you wouldn’t be entitled to tax payers money.

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

The point is, on £40k into a family home you can still get benefits, does that not say the pay is not enough. Surely if you earn enough you wouldn’t be entitled to tax payers money.

I get child benefit paid from Norway, according to your argument Im not paid enough. :D:D:D 

• Haha 1

Well that's assuming your partner isn't atleast working part time.

Even if you say 15-20k part time, plus the 40k isn't a bad earning for a household if you have kids.

You can't just have 50k as a minimum wage, false minimum wage just distorts the economy. And still would fail to achieve your goal.

A loaf of own brand supermarket bread at 50k would be £8.

Edited by GarethM