Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

4 minutes ago, Johnsond said:
APPLE.NEWS

How lockdown and the benefits system deepened the UK’s workforce crisis

I wonder what if anything is ever gonna change this. 

Cleethorpes is the mobility scooter capital of Britain and was long before COVID. 

Options:

Bring back freedom of movement with EU as BREXIT isn't looking too pretty right now for our little Island.
Life in jail for anyone on the dole for longer than 28 days.
Shoot the disabled and the mentally unwell on sight.

24 minutes ago, Johnsond said:
APPLE.NEWS

How lockdown and the benefits system deepened the UK’s workforce crisis

I wonder what if anything is ever gonna change this. 

An end to the benifit system as we know it might do the trick.
I’m all up for helping those who genuinely can’t work- they should be supported BUT the vast majority of benifit claimers need to be given a “job” to still get their benifits. If I was in charge they would be out sweeping the streets and digging the ditches out! Once the job was completed to the required standard they would receive a fair wage. If they didn’t like it they could go and get a better job more to their liking! As to the community service lot they would be doing similar. I reckon as a result most of the unemployed would find a “better job” fairly quickly and start to put a bit back in the pot but if they didn’t the country would be clean and tidy! Win win 👍

• Like 1

On 07/03/2024 at 20:26, Steve Bullman said:

Don’t quite know what to think about this

AMP.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Mike Tyson will return to the ring against YouTuber turned fighter Jake Paul as the thirst for crossover boxing...

Yeah, strange one.

Like most peeps I hope Tyson knocks him on his ass, but 57?  As I know a lot of power disappears in your 50s, and as big a dick as he appears to be Jake Paul is no powderpuff.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Cleethorpes is the mobility scooter capital of Britain and was long before COVID. 

Options:

Bring back freedom of movement with EU as BREXIT isn't looking too pretty right now for our little Island.

Why bring back freedom of movement? If you have skills Mark the options for work are there bud. 
Apart from that 🤔

Edited by Johnsond

18 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Why bring back freedom of movement? If you have skills Mark the options for work are there bud. 
Apart from that 🤔

Freedom of movement works both ways. I had the time of my life climbing trees in Munich, it was as easy as getting on a plane, starting a job, and staying as long as I wanted. I think that 'The Youth' of today have been unjustifiably robbed of that.

I also think that without freedom of movement there isn't a cat in hells chance that the gaping hole in staffing levels within social care and the NHS will be filled anytime soon. Competent people in any role take some time to train.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

I've not been to Cleethorpes but I'm guessing half the mobility jockeys are on them because they can't physically walk anymore. This'll explain that;-

WWW.GRIMSBYTELEGRAPH.CO.UK

North East Lincolnshire Council is looking to stem the rise of fast-food outlets as a new report shows they are becoming...

The government could grow a pair and do something about the disastereous food policy in this country. That would fix half the problem. It could also stop paying people to ride around on mobility scooters and instead pay them to do manual labour. That'd kill more than a couple of birds with one stone.

A decent diet and physical exercise is a great antidote to mental as well as physical health problems.

Not forgetting that coastal areas have suffered from economic deprivation due to underinvestment and a host of other issues for generations.

There's no quick, easy fix, that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Freedom of movement works both ways. I had the time of my life climbing trees in Munich, it was as easy as getting on a plane, starting a job, and staying as long as I wanted. I think that 'The Youth' of today have been unjustifiably robbed of that.

I also think that without freedom of movement there isn't a cat in hells chance that the gaping hole in staffing levels within social care and the NHS will be filled anytime soon. Competent people in any role take some time to train.

We will have to agree to disagree in particular regarding understaffing in the NHS. Mark I’ve just come back from Holland the guys I was working with there will be heading over here shortly 🤷‍♂️. The options are there if you have the skills. 

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Options:

Now we're getting somewhere...😁