Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:
WWW.CRAIGMURRAY.ORG.UK

It is not controversial to say that the UK’s immigration system is utterly broken. The reason is very plain but seldom noted – decades of cuts in which the cheapness of the system is...

Utter and complete BS.

Next you'll be saying the EU has no problems with borders!.

4 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Utter and complete BS.

Next you'll be saying the EU has no problems with borders!.

Why do you say that, did you read it? It seemed like an honest piece of writing to me.  

"

Asylum is a related but different issue. The Observer today reports that Home Office staff are being recruited to decide asylum cases in the UK who have no relevant experience and have come straight from working in supermarkets or cafes, being empowered to decide cases after three days of training. The report confirms that the grade of such staff has been reduced to Executive Officer, again to save money over using more senior staff.

The UK does not receive disproportionate numbers of asylum applications. Asylum applications per head of UK population are just half the level of the EU average. This from a UK parliamentary library briefing:

Screenshot-1916-1024x105.png

In 2020, 72% of all asylum applications were accepted as genuine at first decision by the Home Office. About one third of the remaining 28% were accepted on appeal. So 81% of all asylum applications are ultimately judged genuine. The Patel/Braverman line that most are “economic migrants” is a plain lie.

The mass arrival of Albanian citizens by boat is a relatively new phenomenon. I am sceptical that the numbers are as large as being put out. It seems to me wildly improbable that 2% of the adult male population of Albania is crossing the Channel in small boats. But it is worth noting that over 40% of Albanian asylum applications are accepted as genuine at first decision by the Home Office. The shameful painting of all Albanians as criminal is plain wrong.

Let me again upset some of my “own side” by saying that the Home Office is so denuded of well paid, expert staff that the bad decisions are not all one way. There are horrible instances of refugees being returned to torture and death after a bad asylum decision. But equally, there are bad decisions the other way, with frauds and criminals also gaining asylum.

The government simply refuses to pay for the degree of knowledge and expertise to make good decisions. I represented (without fee) a number of asylum applications at Immigration Appeals Tribunals – and never lost a case. The reason that so many appeals succeed is that the tribunals are before a real judge, and the Home Office officers have an embarrassing lack of basic knowledge and expertise, often depending for country information on publications or – very frequently – denials of human rights abuse by the particular despotism in question. It just does not cut ice with a judge."

Edited by Mark J

Illegal is illegal=deportation

We make the laws, therefore we can do as we wish. I don't care how good, bad, indifferent or even if they believe they are underpaid.

If you're illegal, it's goodbye and off you pop, no land of honey and back to whence you came.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

If the monarchy costs each UK citizen £4.50 a year, based on a lifetime of 80 years that's £360.
If the monarchy is worth £67 billion they could sell it right now and give everyone in the UK a grand each.

Edited by Mark J

Just now, Mark J said:

If the monarchy costs each UK citizen £4.50 a year, based on a lifetime of 80 years that's £360.
If the monarchy is worth £67 billion they could sell it right now and give everyone in the UK grand each.

Jebus, he's taking a leaf out of Gordon's gold selling playbook.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I'm sure we can all help you fill in your immigration paperwork, or just mail back your passport from wherever you feel is better.

If that's aimed at me I'm not so sure 'we' all can. If it was your solution to the refugees on boats then you're a couple of pages late.