Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Are you blinded by the (in part understandable) emotional attachment?  

Money in - product out.

Management responsibility is to ensure the product out achieves VfM (NHS) or profit (private sector.)

Those 2 functions are not vastly dissimilar once the hysteria is stripped away.

Failure to strip away the hysteria / political bias and approach the matter sensibly will result in the collapse of the very institution that most energetic protagonists of it warn against.  Baffled.....

Couldn’t the same be said of ALL public sectors?
Police, fire service, teachers the military, local government etc etc.
They all cost and don’t “make” money.

The navy buying carriers they can’t afford planes for is one example I was talking about last night with someone from the RAF. Why bin the harriers and eventually get some of these new planes.

Councils paying out compensation for broken wheels instead of fixing the potholes.

The police chasing motorists instead of finding a workers stolen tools.

Ofsted changing things constantly so money that could buy equipment or books or extra teachers is spent on changing things.

Can you really compare the public and private sector?
I’m not so sure
  • Like 1

NHS has its problems but it certainly doesn’t have endless pots of money. 

Chorley closed its AnE due to lack of funds which in turn puts an extra strain on surrounding AnE’s. 

Health tourism is a problem. 

The way public budgets are used and renewed is a massive problem. 

Bolton hospital changed the way it operates to cut losses. 

Wrightington Wigan and Leigh is currently moving its estates and facilities across into a private company as it can’t keep making losses. 

Ormskirk health sold out to virgin health as it was making losses. 

The losses are culpable I can’t remember which NHS trust it was but one down south was allowed to go bankrupt and close. 

Comparible jobs like for like I.e plumbers, sparks, joiners etc etc are on less money than private counterparts hence the struggle to recruit. 

Yes they have a banding system system similar to the forces @kevinjohnsonmbe but the workers salaries are hardly great top bands etc well..... 

NHS’s are struggling and being allowed to go down the swanny but the pay rises are to stop people leaving which in turn may put a stop to agency staff on more money and may attract more nurses and doctors which in turn may stop locums, bank staff, agency staff and overtime at time and a half with call outs etc. 

31 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

The NHS should hold a massive sale a few times a year.

It works for the carpet companies, they’re coining it in.

Bogof on amputations, that sort of thing?

Funnily enough the woodland burial place near me was advertising buy-one-get-one-free on funerals last year!

59 minutes ago, WesD said:

Yes they have a banding system system similar to the forces @kevinjohnsonmbe but the workers salaries are hardly great top bands etc well..... 

NHS’s are struggling and being allowed to go down the swanny but the pay rises are to stop people leaving which in turn may put a stop to agency staff on more money and may attract more nurses and doctors which in turn may stop locums, bank staff, agency staff and overtime at time and a half with call outs etc. 

Agreed Wes, most, if not all, public sector employees benefit from annual incremental increases - I can’t believe it hasn’t been exposed when the unions are banging on about the pay cap. 

And how how many of those agency staff are the very same full time NHS employees?

1 hour ago, Richard 1234 said:

Couldn’t the same be said of ALL public sectors?

Can you really compare the public and private sector?
I’m not so sure

Yes, I think similar could be said for most, if not all. But there’s only the 1 that is so distorted by irrational thinking. 

A 6 figure salary manager - that isn’t managing - in the private sector = fired. 

All parts of a system working in unison (?) towards an efficient output is good for all - a successful business. 

Majority of the parts of a system working (hard) but within deeply entrenched silos is no good for efficiency - the NHS. 

Some NHS trusts demonstrating good working practices because they have effective and innovative managers.