Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

That, Sir, is the key question! And it may well be that we would find considerable common ground if we looked at that question

I wasn't looking to answer that question though - the exam question was, do councils have sufficient funds to deal effectively with contingency planning and if "no", is it a consequence of centrally imposed austerity.

Answer, in the case, ample funds and not limited by austerity.

That moves us on to a series of subsequent questions:

Why are some councils unable to live within their means?

Why are others so flush but possibly not spending appropriately?

Why is central government spending contingency funds to assist a council with such a healthy balance sheet?

The list goes on.....

Why don't Tories like less fortunate people?

Bear in mind eggs, there are hanging baskets etc to think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

One of our neighbouring villages is a consistent strong contender and winner of the national village of the year competition, and previous multiple winner of the SW regional village of the year Mr M!

Them hanging baskets don't water them self you know!

Why don't Tories like less fortunate people?

I don't know if that's right Mark. When the holiday park I was managing in chepstow was sold and I was given the choice of Worcester or nothing by my employer, I had to move or I was homeless or jobless. Me and the wife went to the local housing office and asked for help. Sorry no can do was the reply. Find a family member to stay with wad the only advice we received. As I recall we were still in the glorious leadership of Labour then

I don't know if that's right Mark. When the holiday park I was managing in chepstow was sold and I was given the choice of Worcester or nothing by my employer, I had to move or I was homeless or jobless. Me and the wife went to the local housing office and asked for help. Sorry no can do was the reply. Find a family member to stay with wad the only advice we received. As I recall we were still in the glorious leadership of New Labour then

Fixed that for you, mate. :001_smile:

One of our neighbouring villages is a consistent strong contender and winner of the national village of the year competition, and previous multiple winner of the SW regional village of the year Mr M!

Them hanging baskets don't water them self you know!

As an aside to this serious debate, our crappy council had a half hearted attempt at verge cutting last year (which is fairly important on single track , very busy roads) no attempts this year so far, this year has seen local volunteers having to cut the grass in the graveyards as council are not doing them.

Not the end of the world I know, but pretty sad really.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk